imafan26
Mod

I can't grow celery, it bolts in the heat and never amounts to much. I do grow smallage (Leaf celery). It has a stronger flavor than celery so it really isn't eaten raw. But chopped up in small amounts it works fine as a substitute in salad, soups, casseroles, and stews and it can handle way more heat.

sepeters

Wow that's crazy! Looks like celeriac, but some varieties of celery are more prone to bulbing than others, esp the commercial varieities because they tend to stand more upright and can be blanched easily. Mine seems to do best when I give it light but frequent (every other day in winter, everyday in summer) water. Don't let the soil get soggy, though mine will tolerate a degree of dryness. It also seems to require almost as much fert as the nightshades. Maybe it's just mine, but I also keep it in pots.

I grow both celery and celeriac. My celery made it through the summer here without bolting, but does not stand upright like the celeriac. It has a way better flavor than grocery store variety and as said before, is biennial. It will bolt in it's second year and go to seed and die, provided you can keep it alive through the first summer. If I'm going to eat the bulb of the celeriac I always harvest it as young as possible.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”