gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

What do you folks do with Ghost Peppers "Bhut Jalokias&

I'm fortunate? enough to have my Ghost Pepper plants that I put in this past September finally have several peppers mature. Now that I have them, I really don't know what to do with them.

I use Habs for making hot vinegar and the stuff I put up a couple weeks ago is throat burning. I can't imagine how hot the Ghost Peppers are since this is the first time growing them and I've never tried one before to know how miserable they can make you. I've seen the u-tube videos of people collapsing in agony when eating just a small bit of one, so I'm a little hesitant to take that option.

I only have 7 of them and they are not real big. I need some suggestions from those that use them so they won't go to waste. Any ideas???

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Gumbo - about the hottest thing I grow are jalapenoes, cayennes and tabasco peppers. The cayennes and tabasco peppers are used in pickling. I can not imagine eating Ghost Peppers. Several years ago I bought a 6 pack of jalapeno plants. Low and behold this very strange looking pepper plant appeared in my garden. Looked like a small orangy/yellow bell pepper. HMM. Thought I would try it. Minced it up and put it in the roaster with a nice pork roast. Took one taste and thought I was going to die :!: Threw my lovely roast out :!: It was an Habanero. I know there are a lot of folks who like those super hot peppers - I am not one of them. Ghost Peppers? I would die first.

I know there are lots of recipes on line but I can't even look at the recipes without getting ill. A friend of Mom had a jelly shop in Breaux Bridge. She has since retired but she made a "Red Hot Jake" habanero pepper jelly when Jake Delhomme was "red hot". She had to wear a gas mask in order to make her jelly. How nuts is that?

Any who - if you want to eat ghost pepper you can find plenty of recipes on line. Personally I pass.

Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Jeremy brua

I had the same problem only it was with carrot peppers. I thought they were going'b to be like banana peppers. It turns out they are about the same heat level as habs. I planted 20 of them! I ended up with half a bushel, I canned and made hot sauce out of them.

I wouldn't touch one of those with a ten foot pole!

Halfway
Green Thumb

Clean, dry, and grind the remaining into seed-sized particles for inclusion into salsa, stews, chili etc. A little goes along way and it is pure heat without all the flavor when heat is all that is needed.

I give out some to friends who like some heat without adding so much cayenne or tabasco.

The powder/seeds will last for years. :twisted:

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Right - that is why I grow jalapenoes - I get the flavor with little heat. Especially since I seed and core my J's first. Love the flavor but my old stomach can't take the heat. Love to stuff with crem cheese, wrap with bacon and grill. Poppers :P Try flavored cream cheese like pineapple. Real smooth - Add a pecan half or 2 before wrapping with bacon for a nice woody flavor.

Sorry - just can't deal with the real hot stuff.

Merry Christmas one and all.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

Jeremy brua wrote:I had the same problem only it was with carrot peppers. I thought they were going'b to be like banana peppers. It turns out they are about the same heat level as habs. I planted 20 of them! I ended up with half a bushel, I canned and made hot sauce out of them.

I wouldn't touch one of those with a ten foot pole!
so you have some sauce to share, or did I misunderstand? :wink:

the jolokia's seem excessive to me, and I'm pretty hip to habs. I don't know what I'd do with 'em. with the habs, I usually make hot sauce (usually mixed with other less-hots), or dry for adding to soups for illness-banishing in the winter months.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Personally, I think the only thing to do with ghost peppers is weaponize them! Would work great as pepper spray for self-defense.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote:Personally, I think the only thing to do with ghost peppers is weaponize them! Would work great as pepper spray for self-defense.

I can see how that would be a great use for them. However, there are people that love those things and have little trouble eating them. I once saw a u-tube video of an Indian lady that was the Ghost Pepper eating champion. She devoured several of them in no time then proceeded to smash a couple between her hands and rub her hands on her face and eyes. Totally insane.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Yeah Rainbow :!: Like that :idea: . You should present your proposal to the department of defense. I see Habs and ghost pepper at my local vegetable market and give them a wide berth. Won't even walk close to them. The market has to keep those super hot peppers segregated from the rest of the produce. It is off to the side in a seperate small chiller. Since they stock themthey must sell them. Not to this old fool.

I think I want to live a few more years without totally destroying my stomach.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

that bit's totally true. I heard a report a while back on the news where they said the vast majority of india's bhut jolokia production (which is pretty big) gets bought by their military.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

The OP asks, "What do you folks do with Bhut Jolokias / Ghost Peppers?"

Leave them far, far away. :wink:

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

A friend pulled up his ghost pepper plants and give them to me. I turned the peppers to liquid in my kitchen blender. I poured the liquid on an old lawn mower it removed all the rust and paint.

They make good paint and rust remover.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Gary350 wrote:A friend pulled up his ghost pepper plants and give them to me. I turned the peppers to liquid in my kitchen blender. I poured the liquid on an old lawn mower it removed all the rust and paint.

They make good paint and rust remover.
Love it! :)

cedillamuerta

They grow these at my workplace. I found one on the ground and took it apart this morning (around 10:00). Half an hour later or so, my lips and hands started burning. Apparently some of the oils had gotten on the rim of my water bottle. My hands are still burning almost 5 hours later and my food tastes a little warmer than usual.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Gary - LMFAO

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”