Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Radish rattail! Eat the pods!

I never heard of this radish before in the Pine tree catalog! Its a asian radish that is grown because of its pods and grows 4 feet tall. The pods are used in stir fries! I assume they have lots of flowers also! You don't eat the root on this radish! Anyone planted them before? I do grow my radishes to get lots of flowers in the garden when I leave them go to seed pods and have eaten the small pods in salads!

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Bobberman wrote:. . . I do grow my radishes to get lots of flowers in the garden when I leave them go to seed pods and have eaten the small pods in salads!
And, that is what I've done, Bobberman.

I have a Russian white radish that I don't know where to find the seed so I allow some to go to seed, at least every other year. The pods are delicious! It is just a matter of using the tender ones. The rest can be left for seed.

The name is a real turn-off for those "rat-tail" varieties. My radish plants are 4' tall and I don't need to think about rat tails when I enjoy the fresh pods. I bet German Giants & other large varieties would be really productive. The pods are delicious in stir-fries and a creative cook could probably come up with many uses.

Steve

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”