HonoluluGirl

Is it worth it to grow parsnips in Hawaii?

We don't have a frost here. If I grow parsnips, will they taste ok? Or should I not try at all? Can I dig up the parsnips and place them in the refrigerator to simulate a frost? Thanks!

Fallinazael
Newly Registered

I don't know if you can grow good parsnips here, it's just cool to see someone else from Hawaii on here.

HonoluluGirl

Howzit Fallin! Have you tried growing brussels sprouts? That was a disaster! ha ha ha

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Howzit Fallin! Have you tried growing brussels sprouts? That was a disaster! ha ha ha
Far as I am concerned Brussles sprouts should be grown as weeds. Throw the seed out along the freeway and let it grow how it will. Even if they succeed, its a waste of time. :D

Oh, sorry, the question was about parsmips. I say give it a whirl. We learn to do by doing.

applestar
Mod

HonoluluGirl wrote:Can I dig up the parsnips and place them in the refrigerator to simulate a frost?
That's what I was thinking -- put them in the meat bin and see what happens.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

I dunno, y'all, frost is frost. I think I'd try it but experiment with actually sticking one in the freezer overnight, perhaps with a damp cloth wrapped around it. I have doubts that the parsnips will react to refrigeration the same as real sub-freezing temps.

HonoluluGirl

Silly question about frost. Is it a sudden one-night occurrence? Or is it when the temperature gradually gets colder over a few days/weeks? How long does a typical frost last? Maybe I should just ask "what is frost"? :)

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Guidelines for Harvesting Vegetables
https://www.gardening.cornell.edu/factsh ... tguide.pdf
‣ A frost can occur anywhere from 36 F to 32 F. A light freeze refers to temperatures between
28 F and 31 F, a moderate freeze between 24 F and 28 F, and severe freeze below 24 F.
A plant that is still in the ground releases protective sugars when subject to cold, not sure this can be replicated by refrigeration or freezing.

I think you should mail me two tickets to Hawaii so I can help with your experiment. :wink:

Eric

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Good read on Wikipedia. Click

It is mentioned that the above ground growth of parsnips contain chems that can give you a chemical burn. Be careful around its foliage. Best not to touch it.

HonoluluGirl

Thanks everyone for replying. I'll pass on growing parsnips. I have a feeling it'll turn out to be a disaster. lol.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”