giulianasmom626
Newly Registered

help!!!! can you identify this plant for me

I bought this plant in late june of this yr I planted it along with my other veggies and such, the lady at the nursery had no idea what it was, plus it didnt help that it wasnt marked :(. anywho its been really flourshing since the first freeze. can any of u identify this plant. thanks

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/59007_10151174434237675_1266895241_n.jpg

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

[img]https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/59007_10151174434237675_1266895241_n.jpg[/img]

yup, most likely cabbage, although viewing it from top down like that it could also possibly be brussels sprouts, which are closely related.

giulianasmom626
Newly Registered

they look like they are growing tall, but have bent over I actually havent tended them at all because I didnt kno they were there I assumed everything had died with the frist freeze. then I saw vibrant green. but thanks guys any input on how to tend these. as I am a amateur gardener, this being my first yr with a garden that was successful.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I am leaning towards Brussels Sprouts. Cabbage tends to have much larger leaves. In any case, I would say it is in the cabbage family. As far as taking care of it, just water if needed and keep the weeds away. Depending on how cold it gets, it may or may not make anything.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

But even if it doesn't make sprouts, brussels sprouts being so close to cabbage, you can eat those leaves like cabbage leaves. You can also eat broccoli leaves (another member of the brassica family), though we usually don't.

applestar
Mod

Depending on where you are -- more coastal milder area? -- and on this winters weather, these may survive the winter to grow the sprouts in spring. If you want to be sure of its survival, you may want to give it some extra protection.

If this is what you decide to do, you'll need to monitor closely because the overwintered spring B. sprouts seem to bolt -- open, elongate and go to flower -- rather quickly.

giulianasmom626
Newly Registered

applestar wrote:Depending on where you are -- more coastal milder area? -- and on this winters weather, these may survive the winter to grow the sprouts in spring. If you want to be sure of its survival, you may want to give it some extra protection.

If this is what you decide to do, you'll need to monitor closely because the overwintered spring B. sprouts seem to bolt -- open, elongate and go to flower -- rather quickly.

I'm in massachusetts along the south shore... plymouth is a 10 min drive for me.... I don't know anything about winter gardening especially around here any tips on protection is very welcomed.

applestar
Mod

Just ran across this thread which answer some questions about winter protection:
https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=31409

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

I vote for brussel sprouts. I think cabbage leaves are larger. These are pics of brussel sprouts for you to compare.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Brussel+Sprout+Plant+Leaves&FORM=RESTAB

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

Bok Choy..... I think.

imafan26
Mod

It looks a lot like a kale or collard called top bunch. It is a Georgia type of collard. It will get taller on the stem with large round leaves slightly savoyed, but will not form a solid head like a cabbage. If your plant stem is getting taller and it forms large leaves but no head it might be this. As it gets larger is should make itself known.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”