guerrilla52

gotcha, will do!!!

guerrilla52

thanks for the input!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

But don't let people slow you down too much! Trying to build raised beds in a vacant lot you don't own is a whole different project than seed bombing it. If you don't pick a lot next to any chemical plants or anything, there's no more reason to think that lot is contaminated than our own yards. My yard seems to have been used as a dump in the past as near as I can tell from all the glass, beer cans, metal parts, etc I dig up anywhere I dig.

You are just trying to green the place up a bit. You have no idea whether any of these veggies will sprout and if so if they will thrive enough to produce anything and if they do, if anyone will pay any attention. Veggies usually take a bit of tending to be productive and the idea of seed bombing and guerrilla gardening is not usually that you are going to come back and tend them.

Because of all that, if I were to take up seed bombing, I would do it with hardy native wildflowers. But the veggies should work to green things up also.

If what you really want is to take over spaces for veggie gardens that people would tend and get veggies from, you should look in to community gardens. Look up Will Allen and the Growing Power movement.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Who owns the lot in question? Can you contact the owner and perhaps make a deal to use the lot? If so you could possibly have a great spot for a garden without sneaking around about it. Messing with another's property without permission puts you at risk.

Dillbert
Greener Thumb

in the 90's I did a number of "house rehabs" in what one could only describe as 'the worst of the slum environment'

there were vacant lots _everywhere_ - abandoned houses that eventually the city had to raze before somebody got hurt / killed by 'falling junk'

as the neighborhoods _slowly_ 'came back' any number of folk opted to use the abandoned / razed lots for veggie / flower / park styles of gardening.

then the city would send in a clean up crew - which would absolutely totally destroy / remove / level / pull up everything and anything on those plots and re-grade it back to rubble. I personally don't call that inner-urban progress, but . . .

at best I suppose one could assume some city inspector spotted an over-grown lot, probably five years ago, and put it on a list of 'places to be cleaned up' - some other city department apparently finally worked far enough down the list to come destroy the locals efforts.

scenes like 20-30 people out there protesting, a city employee saying 'I got orders to clear out this lot' - very ugly.

so, seed bombing an abandoned spot hoping the locals will find / harvest the beans / tomatoes / cukes is one thing; significant effort needs to be formalized.

guerrilla52

I understand the risk I am taking, its not exactly lawful but I do want to try, as far as the lots go I was actually thinking of just asking the owners to use the land, it seems more like the right thing to do. questions

guerrilla52

I'm trying to find websites advertising land now

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”