donvic
Newly Registered

squash worm

hi.. having problems with a white worm with a black face in my adult squash main stem ... I find this worm , in the main stem , close to the ground.. sometimes its in a stem leaf... name ,and how to control this worm would be a great help.. from central texas...

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Is it this guy?

[img]https://www.clemson.edu/extension/hgic/graphics/2207/squash_vine_borer_close.jpg[/img]

squash vine borer

You can type that in to the Search the Forum keyword box and find a bunch written here about them.

Nastiest pest in my garden. I have about given up growing zucchini because of them. Unless you act very quickly, the squash plant that has it in the main stem will be a wilted mess of nothing within a few days.

The best thing to do at this point is slit the stem where they are, dig them all out with a knife, then cover up the slit with a mud poultice.

Here's an article about them:

https://www.gardensalive.com/article.asp?ai=804

donvic
Newly Registered

thats it ... thanks for your help

Francis Barnswallow
Green Thumb

SVB's. nuff' said.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Let us know if you manage to save your squash plant!

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

I too have all but given up on growing summer squash and expecting good results. I still temp fate and plant several of the zucchini and yellow crook neck each spring but they will be dead or dying soon after the first fruit are picked.

Others have recommended growing winter squash varieties in its place since the stems aren't hollow like the summer squash varieties. I got quite a few Acorn squash this past spring and early summer, but even though they have a good taste, they are much different than summer squashes. After the SVB's take my plants I just buy the summer squash at the market for cooking. When in season, they are pretty cheap since they grow so plentiful.

I feel your pain over this. I remember the first time, many years ago, that I found the SVB's in my squash stems and watched them die very quickly soon after.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”