jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Re: Salsify

According to Arthur H Holmgren USU, the genus Tragopogon is perennial with fleshy taproots and grass like leaves. That being the case, yes, the first years roots would likely be more tender. Perhaps seed grown in a garden with good fertility and water would be better than the roadside plants I gathered? At any rate, from what I have seen of them, it is not likely I will ever plant any in my garden. I will enjoy the wild flowers.

Many things that grow naturally in this area are deemed edible, and many of the early settlers to the area used them regularly. I will assume it was a matter of survival in many cases, not that the item was particularly flavorful. IOW better to eat something than go hungry. (They didn't have a store around the corner, and likely no money to spend any way.)

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

imafan26 wrote:Gobo or edible burdock is sometimes called salsify. The variety that is usually grown is Mammoth Sandwich Isle.
this is confusing. the variety 'mammoth sandwich island' is actually salsify (Tragopogon porrifolius)....not gobo/burdock (Arctium genus), which I've never seen called salsify. real salsify looks just like the picture jal posted (though there wouldn't be flower-stalks on first-year plants).

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”