jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Garden Planning

Still cool and pretty wet out today. So to entertain myself I spent much of the day going over my notes from the past season, and making plans for next season's garden. First I needed a list of what I want to grow next year, then an idea how much, then a plan to see if it could all be grown on my area.

I end up with a drawing and a plan. Looks like I will be able to fit it all in. Now Before planting time I will need to find the seeds and be ready to go sometime in early April. I usually get a fair amount of seed locally from a seed and garden store. I won't worry about it until March I guess, after they get all their new stock in. So looks like the gardening is done for now.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

James,

I know that you save some seed. If you are like me, you may often buy larger packets of seed as well. Various containers of this 'n' that.

Is there a seed inventory? Do you have a special place for the seed stored thru the winter?

Steve

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Yes, I do have seed from other years, and seed that I saved this season. I always end up buying some seeds every year though. I don't grow my own seed for all the 30 or so varieties I plant each year. Nothing scientific about my seed storage methods, I just put it in a cardboard box in the basement. That area has a pretty stable temperature year round of 65 to 70 degrees. Our Utah climate is pretty low humidity, so I don't worry about it ever getting damp. :)

The garden store where I buy seed gets it in bulk and they will just measure you out whatever you want. Yes, sometimes I get a pretty big package of one thing or another.

Right now I am doing a germination test on the carrot seed I collected. I have enough to last me a lifetime. Hope the germination is good. It is kind of a pain to clean it up. I need a sieve of the right size to let the seed drop through. I still have 3/4 of a paper shopping bag of carrot seed heads I haven't threshed yet.

LA47
Green Thumb

I find this fascinating. Would the carrots sprout if the burred outer coat is left on? To remove it, do you just apply slight pressure to the seed and rub it around the screen untill it drops through or is it more difficult to remove? Are there other seeds that have special needs?
Also, in planning your garden, how many years do you wait, say for squash, to replant in the same ground? I read every other year to every third or fourth. Kind of confusing for a smaller garden.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Would the carrots sprout if the burred outer coat is left on?
Yes. I don't remove the coat just the little hooks by rubbing the seed between my hands.
Also, in planning your garden, how many years do you wait, say for squash, to replant in the same ground? I read every other year to every third or fourth.
My plot is quite large. I try to move things around each year. I guess there are some advantages for doing this. Mostly it has to do with disease or insect pests. Maybe a little to do with soil needs. I really don't think it is a big deal in any case. Pathogens and insects are mobile and likely to find your plants any way. I think they are very likely to come on the wind. We can't control the wind. If you take care of your soil and feed it, you will have fertile soil for whatever you plant on it. I know a farmer that has a one acre plot he has planted in pumpkins for the last 7 or 8 years. Still getting some nice pumpkins. I have grown corn on a plot for 5 years in a row before swapping crops. Still got a good crop the last season. Like I said, feed the soil.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Half my space in 2013 will be going into corn. Part of that space had corn on it last year. My plan is to plant 3 40 foot rows each week starting May 5 for 11 weeks. That way I will have fresh corn every week for 11 weeks beginning sometime in early August.

I will be making all my rows on 32 inch spacings. This is to allow me to run my Troybilt tiller between the rows for weeding and cultivating. I can also use the tiller for hilling the potatoes with the hiller/furrower attachment.

My seed list has 30 varieties on it. My choice of varieties answers to two criteria: Plant what you like to eat. Plant what you can sell.

What are your plans?

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Partly, my gardening plans depend on others, James. Here at home, I only have a residential lot so my gardens are mostly at a distance, on friends' property.

One friend has provided me space for over 15 years. He owns a rental - 1 house & 1 garage on 4 lots. I garden on 1 lot.

Then, I've got the "big veggie garden" in another location. The friend there, wants me to take on another 1/4 acre. Here at home, the neighbor across the fence wants me to take over his garden . . . what to do? Maybe I can get some help? Maybe not.

Then, there is my own health. Dropping the unneeded fat with a little extra work would be a good idea but at my age and after several years of "retirement" - I thought I was on a different downsizing track.

I won't be like that donkey that starved to death between 2 bales of hay - being undecided which direction to go. I'll have to ruminate awhile on the 2013 plans but expansion looks like a possibility.

Steve :)

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

at my age and after several years of "retirement" - I thought I was on a different downsizing track.
Ya, I've had those same thoughts. I was about to cut my garden to 1/4 or less, and just grow enough for us, but what the heck? I need something to do. So I laid out plans more oriented towards a farmers market. I am not a big enough grower to make any real money doing it, but a little income pays for seed, fuel etc. and even gives me a few bucks to take the wife to dinner now and then. I enjoy growing so guess I am committed for another season.

LA47
Green Thumb

We are going to go with raised beds next year. We're planning on 3 foot wide beds by 8 feet long and 2 1/2 feet walkways. I have tried to plan the garden and have already decided that we will have to expand that. There is a 27 foot long rubarb hedge that was already there so all but 4 plants will be passed along to who ever wants them. Right now the garden is 25 x 30. I think we need at least 30x30. There's only the 2 of us so I think that will do us.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”