Trickerie

Ghost Pepper Seeds Getting "Stuck"?

I planted twelve or so ghost pepper seeds a few weeks back. This is my first attempt at growing these from seeds. Finally, 3 of them sprouted. I was unable to check on em for 2 days, I figured they would be OK, but when I went back to check them, two of them were "stuck" inside the seed casing, drooped over and brown/mushy. The other sprouted leaves and is doing well. Is there a reason these other two were stuck? I'm really bummed, as I wanted to give a few of these to friends!!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

If they are brown and mushy, it's probably too late to save them. I'm not sure why some seed leaves have more trouble breaking free of the seed capsule than others, but it does happen.

If you had been able to check them sooner, you can often rescue them, by cutting the seed capsule off carefully with a nail scissors. Even if part of the cotyledon gets cut off, the plant usually survives.

I would think brown and mushy that fast suggests too much water.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Could be from over watering, damping off.

Low humidity may also have played a part. If the seed shell drys out, they are harder to shed. Humidity keeps the shell soft.

I've also read that you may not have planted your seed deep enough. Something about the extra growing to help shed the shell??

Eric

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

I'm trying Ghost Peppers for the first time this year. I have 2 that are about 18 inches tall with quite a few flowers on them. I also have Habanero's that are now putting out peppers and a few Jalapeno that are behind the Hab's.

If our winter is near as mild as last years, they will over-winter just fine and by spring I should start getting a bumper crop of the little hot things. For some reason I've developed a great fondness for hot peppers these past few months, often eating 6-8 jalapeno's at a time when eating baked chicken and such. I've eaten the Hab's and they are considerably hotter than the Jalapeno's and the Ghost Peppers are insanely hot. Those may wind up just being a novelty item or one for the "I can eat any pepper" crowd.

Trickerie

Thanks for the info guys. I started them in peat pellets, which probably isnt the best idea, but I didnt even think I'd get any to sprout. I planted them about 1/4" deep, perhaps I shoulda went deeper. I doubt it was a humidity issue, as they were in my garage, in FL. If anything, it was too humid! I think the problem may have been not taking the dome off early enough. I put the dome back on when I noticed the three sprouts, and looking back, I should have left it off I think.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”