PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Pepper plant growing funny

Hi,

I have this pepper plant (chocolate bell) that grows lots of peppers but they are tiny. Compared to another plant of the same variety they grow only about 1/2-1/3 the size of they should be growing. Another thing is that the fruit develops funny. It gets soggy or just soft on one end, just doesn't ripen right. This plant is also being taken better care of than the normal growing plant. It's in full sun, gets fertilize every so often and plenty of water. Anyone know what is going on?

On a side note, I had (2) Aji Dulce pepper plants and they were in full sun, plenty of water, fertilized etc. And they sat not growing at all for a few months. Finally I literally ripped them out. One I decide to put in an empty pot in the spur of the moment. That plant has made a come back and is now fruiting. I don't understand why these two plants sat and did not grow an inch for months.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

What were the roots like on the one you pulled up?

I think often when a plant is sitting there doing nothing, it is some kind of root problem. Overwatering caused root rot, or it got root bound or for some reason the roots aren't able to take up water and nutrients.

The pepper getting soft on one end sounds like blossom end rot, which is also a problem of nutrient (Calcium) uptake and can be related to inconsistent watering.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Well when I started the Aji Dulce they started out well. They got up potted once too before putting them out. I first pulled the smaller one and it did have a small root system. The second one had the same but for some reason made a come back. The thing about the Chocolate Bell is that I have grown peppers in this area before and all grow similar. The leaves always look beat up. To be honest I am beginning to think that peppers need a small period of shade during the day. Cause all my other plants that have a shade period they grow so well. The peppers where I am having problems are in full sun all day and they are planted in the ground.

The two Aji Dulce definitely had weak roots systems but I am wondering why it happened to both of them.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”