PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Too late to start garlic?

Hi,

I didn't really plan on growing garlic this year. But I kind of changed my mind. If I decide to do it I want to grow something different.

1. Is it too late?

2. What varieties would you recommend?

Thx

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Not too late. Go for it. I don't know what to suggest as far as varieties in your area. The hard necks do well here. I haven't had much luck with soft neck garlic. I think they would likely do well for you though there in So. Cal. Many folks just get some from the local supermarket and plant it. That has not worked well for me because it is usually soft neck, and like I said it doesn't do well here, but I think most of it comes from So. Cal. Any garden centers near that have garlic for planting? Know any local growers? They could help you with varieties and maybe even planting stock.

CharlieBear
Green Thumb

If you try garlic from the store get organic or it may not grow. Rather go to Lowes or a garden center and see what they have. I am a little farther north and I grow both soft and hard neck garlic. I have planted them in the fall, Oct or early Nov and I have also planted it in Feb because I found some that needed to be planted I hadn't gotten too. Both grew, but the ones planted in the fall seem to get a little bigger.
By the way much of the plain Jane garlic in the store is grown close to you so soft neck will definately grow. I personally like to grow a red or something with more character if I use the space, but by all means experiment

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

I think I am gonna buy some online. I bought some garlic from home depot last year but I think it is the same usual garlic you see in the supermarkets. I am looking to grow more gourmet garlic.

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

I just planted some regular old garlic in a container to give it a try. It had been about a week and a half and I didnt see any sprouts so I dug down and they were rooting. From what I read it is not to late.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I have already given away all that I can I am down to the nitty gritty here or I would send you some.

But the only time it is too late is when the ground is frozen, and if you wait untill the ground thaws in spring you are WAY late. Go do some planting now. :D

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I have already given away all that I can I am down to the nitty gritty here or I would send you some.

But the only time it is too late is when the ground is frozen, and if you wait untill the ground thaws in spring you are WAY late. Go do some planting now. :D

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Punk,

Not sure if Music garlic qualifies as gourmet or not, but I have plenty. Shoot me a PM if interested.

Eric

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Actually what I meant by gourmet was something different than what I can get at the store. I think I wanna do garlic in the ground as well as trying it in a container.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Question -

Would a hardneck variety work out well where I am located ( So. Cal)? I know down here softneck is what should be planted. But some descriptions of hardneck garlic I read will say something like "Adaptable, but well suitable for cold winters". It just seems that the harneck varieties sound superior to the softnecks.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

I have never grown soft neck garlic, so I can't relate.

Here is one of my favorite seed companys and a comment from them.
https://groworganic.com/organic-gardening/articles/singing-the-praises-of-music-garlic
David Says:
Nov 8th, 2011 at 9:07 am
How will this variety do in Southern California, (inland specifically in sunset zone 18. I know sometimes hardnecks may not do so well in this climate, I've planted some regular california early from the farmers market that was grown in this area but would prefer a few different varieties to test out. Thanks

Charlotte from Peaceful Valley Says:
Nov 8th, 2011 at 12:09 pm
David, Softneck garlics, such as the California Early you have grown, have a greater tolerance for warm springs and summers. You do have cold winters in Sunset zone 18 and if you have a cool spring in 2012 a porcelain hardneck like ‘Music’ should do well. It will depend on the year and on the microclimate on your property. I also suggest you check with your Master Gardeners to see if they have comments on the varieties that do best.
Eric

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

A little history on Al Music's garlic
https://seasonalontariofood.blogspot.com/2010/01/music-garlic.html

Eric

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

I found this interesting

"DNA testing indicates German White / Northern White and Music are all the same variety."

about halfway down the page.
Music ( Musik )
https://www.rickertville.com/garlic-varieties.html

Eric

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Punk,

Garlic is on it's way. You may have it as early as Monday.

Eric

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Thanks man, really appreciate it. If you ever see something from my seed list that you'd like to try let me know.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Your welcome.

I broke up the heads into individual cloves to fit the padded envelope better. Plant them ASAP.

Eirik " AY-rik "

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Yes plant them ASAP as stated if they are already broken apart.

As far as hardnecks and softnecks doing good here and not there. Most will grow anywhere but may do better than other places. Music is a good all around variety as well as Chesnok Red.

I have been gettin more into the Creole types. Which are said to do great in the deep south. I haven't seen anything on them anywhere but deep south in descriptions etc. Yet I grew them and they did great, oh yeah where did I get them, from a farm in Minnesota, so go figure. 8)

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Punkrotten if you still want some more I can send some looking at what I have I can spare some.

Pm me if you are interested. I can hook you up with some tomato seeds etc as well. :wink:

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

I think its really trial and error. I was reading about some hardnecks growing fine in warmer climates but may not do as well as they would in places with cold winters. So its really a gamble with some varieties. You just have to take the gamble and see. I was reading a comment from a guy who lives in a city kind of near me and he posted a year later that a hardneck he grew came out fine. Reading descriptions about hardnecks sound more appealing than softnecks. They say they are more closer to true garlic. I don't think I have ever eaten a hardneck garlic.

mattie g
Green Thumb

Definitely not too late for me. In fact, as long as the ground dries out a little more by this weekend, I'll probably plant mine then. We haven't had a frost here yet, but it's getting close. I just need to figure out exactly where to put it!

I've had the garlic heads (one hardneck variety, one softneck variety) for a few weeks already, but it seems in fine shape.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”