Brown Thumbs

Baby cabbage falling over

I noticed some of my little cabbage plants are sort of falling over. They are about three inches tall now. Should I pull dirt around stem to help for support? Never grown cabbage before and started them from seed. Is this normal?

Also, should I mulch around them and do they like good bit of water or slightly dry etc? Thanks for any help.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Sounds a bit like they are needing water. Poke your finger in the soil near them and see how dry the soil is. You don't want soup, but you also don't want it dry as dust.

Like you said, pull a little soil around the base to offer some support. I do this with other similar crops like broccoli, Brussels Sprouts, etc. I don't grow cabbage since they are pretty much a one and done plant and I don't have all that much room for such crops.

Brown Thumbs

gumbo2176 wrote:Sounds a bit like they are needing water. Poke your finger in the soil near them and see how dry the soil is. You don't want soup, but you also don't want it dry as dust.

Like you said, pull a little soil around the base to offer some support. I do this with other similar crops like broccoli, Brussels Sprouts, etc. I don't grow cabbage since they are pretty much a one and done plant and I don't have all that much room for such crops.
Thanks. I pulled some soil up around the stems and watered them. They look a little better now but don't really seem to be growing much. My mustard greens on next row are taking off. I also noticed some white looking spots on the cabbage leaves, not sure what that is. Part of my problem may be a lack of direct sunlight. Now that the sun is lower or big oaks are shading the garden spot. It's only getting a couple hours of direct sun now, but maybe more when the leaves fall off.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

I grow collard greens and have harvested a couple times already. They are next to my Broccoli and Brussels Sprout plants and the collards are growing faster than either one of the other 2.

Your cabbage should be fine. As for the spots on the leaves, are they looking like trails and kind of jagged looking. If so, you may have a problem with leaf miners and they are hard to control.

Your profile says South US. Where exactly may get you better responses from someone in your growing zone.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”