michelletomato
Newly Registered

I till up the soil real good then hill it up in rows. I can only get it hilled up about 8 or 9 inches high but other gardeners hill it up about a foot. Plant the seeds in the top of the hill and keep them moist. Adding a hummus and manure mixtue (sold in bags) to the soil has helped my beets develope better. I've found they don't do well in hot weather either. good luck!

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Beats like loose soil, so a good organic rich soil works well with beats and any root crop. I start every thing in the green house, just my way of getting a jump on the season and knowing what are weeds. I have a deer fence with a rabbit fence at the bottom around my garden so I can't say how much the rabbits eat them.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

I waited too late for cool weahter planting. G picked up a nice bunch of beats yesterday with lots of nice greens. I rinsed te greens then cooked them in the water clinging to the leaves and a little salt, pepper and butter until just tender. My favorite green. I cubed and boiled the beets with salt pepper, tsp of olive oil and a tbsp of butter. Lovely. For lunch today I made a cold beet salad. Added boiled egg and parsley to the cold beets.

Really one of my fave root crops. I like greens but beet greens are #1 for me.

Raw and shredded in a salad is to die for.

applestar
Mod

I cubed and boiled the beets with salt pepper, tsp of olive oil and a tbsp of butter.
When you do that do you peel the beets first?

Dillbert
Greener Thumb

baked, roasted, boiled . . .

I prefer not to peel them.
(a) because I'm a lazy cook
(b) once cooked the natural skin layer comes off _way_ easier than via a peeler
(c) keeping the natural skin layer prevents creating a dry leathery surface of the pre-peeled roots.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Yep - I peel first. I never liked beets as a child but Mom served canned beets. GROSS! Like so many things fresh is sooo much better. Another one is brussel sprouts. HATED them as a child. LOVE them now.

valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

Rabbits will eat beets down to nothing, given half a chance. At our Nevada place we have a fence to keep out the horses, the garden is in a smaller fenced area to keep out the rabbits, mice and a type of chipmonk of whatever. We had to put a hot wire around the bottom which was the best thing to keep out the critters. Last year we had a good crop of beets, we liked them raw, cooked and pickled. Have a great season.

Richard

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”