Super Green Thumb

Done.

OK, chime in.

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

As I am writing the other one *face palm*

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Good luck at the market James you should do fine with your crops. Lets hope for a better season than this year.

I have been planning and trading. For me it's tomatoes first and whatever else I can fit in second. Well onions and garlic are a must lettuce as well.

I will be getting some Big Daddy onions after seeing yours for years I must try them. 8)

Still working on getting a new garden section going to put the sprawlers that will give me more tomato room yet still have other crops I want.

I want to do more melons this year. Ehh...sprawlers right. :wink:

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Well, I did manage to get the garlic planted today between showers. Rain? Yes! That is fantastic. We only got about 0.03 but that is the first rain since September 10. We only got 0.04 then. It has been dry.

Big Daddy Onions. Yes they are amazing and sold well too. I must make a note to plant more.

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

How do you guys keep your garden notes?

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Mostly pictures.

Eric

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

3 ring binder.

TheWaterbug
Greener Thumb

ReptileAddiction wrote:How do you guys keep your garden notes?
helpfulgardener.com

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

jal_ut wrote:
3 ring binder.
I like this idea. Mind posting a pic so I can see the format you put it in?

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I found a small bag of garlic, more than we need for eating this winter, so I planted that today. I guess I am done until April.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I like this idea. Mind posting a pic so I can see the format you put it in?
Format? Nothing special. I just put some lined paper in the 3 ring binder and write notes as they come to mind. If I have info like seed lists or variety info, I can punch the page and put it in the binder too.

I usually note things like planting dates, weather patterns, harvest dates, how varieties performed, costs, income, plus any thoughts I may have about how to improve things, etc.

Some people are big on spread sheets for this and that. You won't find me doing that.

Hey, if you start a book, its your book. Put what you want in it.

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

I think I will try that to this coming season. I never really record anything (:oops:) but right now as I am going through things I wish I have been...

Cactusflower
Newly Registered

This has been a great melon season for us. I have a small garden. Hubby and I finished the last of our five watermelons in August. Last cantaloupe was harvested last week. In my fridge sits the last honeydew melon. :cry:

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

[img]https://donce.lofthouse.com/jamaica/melons_wagon.jpg[/img]

These are Charleston Gray Watermelons. I have had good luck with them over several years.

Yesterday was our last Farmers' Market for the season. I sold squash, watermelon, carrots, tomatoes, onions and honey. It was a good market day.

[img]https://donce.lofthouse.com/jamaica/table_oct_20.JPG[/img]

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

That is a lovely table you have there James. Nice selection, what are those white onions in the bowl?

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

Nice! Your farmers markets close their in the winter? I have never heard that before.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

ReptileAddiction wrote:Nice! Your farmers markets close their in the winter? I have never heard that before.
Of course they do... nothing grows when the ground is frozen solid!

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

James,

Last market, sorry to hear. Are the reasons because, no shelter or road hazards.

You would think any serious vendor would have product to sell. Squash, onions, potatoes, honey, dry herbs, eggs, garlic, root crops, fruit and etc.. Anything that has storage life.

Eric

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Not my decision. I suppose weather has much to do with it. It is an outdoor market and things can get rough this time of year. There was a good amount of winter squash, apples, turnips, radish, and onions at the market. Yes, I suppose most of the garden vendors would have things to sell for a couple more weeks at least. I sell honey, plus veggies and will have honey. I am out of veggies though. Worked out just right for me. I didn't see much garlic at the market this week and people were looking for it. I made a note to plant more garlic for next year. This market is a craft market too. Those folks who do crafts would definitely have things to sell.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Nice! Your farmers markets close their in the winter? I have never heard that before.
Making me giggle here. You Southerners don't quite understand the climate here. We had our first frost in the third week of September, and now it is freezing every night. There will be no gardens growing anything but ice here until April. If I am lucky I get a season of 120 days between the last frost in the spring and the first frost in the fall. My idea of a winter garden is to plant some garlic in October to come up in the spring!

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Nice selection, what are those white onions in the bowl?
In the bowl are a couple of Red, some Yellow Spanish, and some Big Daddy onions. I didn't grow any whites.

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

I forgot that you guys cant grow things now. A 120 day growing season? Wow. I don't know how you do that! You must have great planning!

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Nay, We just plant more of everything.

Eric

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Yesterday I threshed some of the carrot seed I had harvested earlier. This morning I prepared a germination test on it. This is my first experience saving carrot seed. Will see how it pans out. It is hard to separate the seed from lots of the other stems etc I got after threshing. I guess it really won't matter if it is really clean as far as planting it goes. I tried dropping it from one container to another with a gentle breeze and that took out a lot of the smaller particles. I guess I need a sieve the right size? Do you save carrot seed?

Here is my winter garden!

[img]https://donce.lofthouse.com/jamaica/garden_10_24_2012.jpg[/img]

Main crop? ICE!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”