PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

My most healthiest pepper plant ever + size comparison

Hi,

I have this really healthy pepper plant measuring exactly 4 foot high and almost 4 feet wide at widest area. And it seems like it is still growing and it just loaded with immature fruit and flowers. The variety is Hot Cherry. Compared to other peppers I have grown, none have grown this tall and bushy, and don't have the nice leaf shape and color as this one. This plant was actually going to be destroyed. It was a leftover from Spring and I left it in its transplant pot for awhile deciding what to do. Finally I just put it in the ground not expecting much. It is planted in clay soil and I have maybe added like a cup of compost twice. It gets the intense evening sun, some indirect/filtered sun in the morning and the rest of the time in the shade.

On the other hand I have several varieties of peppers, some in pots, some in the ground, that I baby the heck out of and they are nowhere near as healthy as this plant. Anyway, just wanted to share. Also I have a comparison pic. The pepper in the pot beside it is the same variety, also more mature, that gets babied a lot. Proof that peppers grow better in the ground. But if all you got are pots then go with that. I have some good plants in pots too.

[img]https://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c86/punkrotten/942_3425.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c86/punkrotten/942_3427.jpg[/img]

Francis Barnswallow
Green Thumb

Awesome. It's fun to watch pepper plants when they're happy.

veggiedan
Cool Member

Not sure exactly where you are, but if you don't get hard freezes, or can protect it, you can keep the plant going over the winter. Peppers are not very frost tolerant, but they are perennials. That's not widely understood.

Why? Because then you'll be getting peppers in March or April. Yes! And the plant will just keep getting bigger.

I have a couple of banana pepper plants left over from last year. As this summer winds down, they are four feet tall, and covered with new peppers and flowers (they provided a load in spring as well, but shut down in the heat of the summer). They have trunks about 3/4 inch in diameter.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

It is warm enough here to keep them as perennials. I already got a 2nd year serrano pepper. I have a total of 10 pepper plants and will be overwintering all of them. I may get rid of one and replace it with another not sure yet. The thing is when I planted this plant I thought the location wasn't ideal and it turns out the plant is happy there.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”