Brown Thumbs

Fall garden

We decided to plant some mustard greens this year in our small garden. I planted two rows and they are up now. I also decided to try my hand at growing cabbage. This will be my first attempt and planted them a couple weeks ago...seeds. They are up now and spaced about 6 inches apart in a row. I guess I need to thin more. Any tips, suggestions on growing cabbage is welcome! We're in zone 8. I added some all purpose fertilizer when I planted the seed.

My garden spot doesn't receive nearly as much sun during fall/winter as it does during late spring/summer. Shade from oaks, but after leaves fall hopefully will help. Should I mulch cabbage? Watering, pest etc tips needed. Hopefully the deer won't eat our fall garden! Thanks for any advice.

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

I always had problems with cabbage loopers. A good way to take care fo that is to dust the plant with flour. When they eat it they bloat and die.

Brown Thumbs

ReptileAddiction wrote:I always had problems with cabbage loopers. A good way to take care fo that is to dust the plant with flour. When they eat it they bloat and die.
Thanks for that tip. I haven't noticed any bugs yet but have sprayed them and the greens just in case. We love cabbage and have never tried growing it.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

good call Reptile, keep it organic if we can. :D

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”