ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

@ Applestar

What type of apples are those. They look so good I can almost smell them!

applestar
Mod

Sorry didn't realize there was a question. :oops:

These are Arkansas Black apples. Disease resistant, good keeper, and deliciously strongly flavored -- two other varieties I have are Pristine and Enterprise. You get used to eating these or any home grown apples and store bought apples all taste watery and blah. :wink:

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote:I do have a walk in pantry, but a lot of stuff lives there and it gets pretty full. It currently has bee balm, basil, lavender and mint hanging to dry.

But I do have an attic!! I don't know about drying things up there though. 1) it has a pull down ladder up to it, so isn't the most accessible. 2) it is vented but unheated, very hot in summer (like I made the mistake of leaving a candle in with the Christmas stuff that is stored up there and it melted), very cold in winter.

But I'll keep it in mind.
Do you have a garage Rainbow? I dry a lot of stuff in there. It's warm and out of the sun. I always supplement a fan becuase of the humdity which you probably have as well in Ohio.

I would have to assume the "little house" used the attic since they didn't have a garage or much room or possibly a barn.

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

applestar wrote:Sorry didn't realize there was a question. :oops:

These are Arkansas Black apples. Disease resistant, good keeper, and deliciously strongly flavored -- two other varieties I have are Pristine and Enterprise. You get used to eating these or any home grown apples and store bought apples all taste watery and blah. :wink:
Would I hae to have 2 varieties to pollinate? DO you know what the chill hour requirements are?

applestar
Mod

You need a pollinator -- AB I believe is being pollinated by Pristine (pretty sure that was why I planted them in the same bed) but my Enterprise gets pollinated by a volunteer wild crabapple that makes 1/2" yellow fruits.

A lucky circumstance because back when I planted the Enterprise, I didn't know about needing a pollinator and thought the tree was just not old enough when it bloomed but didn't fruit for a cople of years. In the mean time, I let the volunteer crab grow in a nearby flower bed, and the year the crab started to bloom is when Enterprise started to set fruit. 8)

With name like ARKANSAS Black, I would think it is a southern adapted cultivar, but I don't know the actual chill hours it needs.

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

Ok thanks. I would have to have dwarf trees but they would have to have a chill hour requirement below 350 or they wont fruit in my area

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”