GilkersA7

coffee grounds in soil

I read somewhere that coffee grounds can be added to the garden. Do they have to be used or can they be unused. Also does it have to be composted. I was also wondering what the best organic fertilizers were and how to add calcium to the soil

Thanks for any information.

Grey
Greener Thumb

Hi Gilkers, welcome to the forum!

Used coffee grounds are a great addition to your soil amendments. They actually count as a green, rather than a brown.

If you look around through the Organic Gardening section of this forum, you'll find all kinds of great information on organic gardening and composting.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Yes, used coffee grounds are great for the soil and do not acidify the soil. Some people have claimed that they are acidic but, all of the acid is lost duiring the brewing process.

Also, coffee grounds are loaded with micronutrients that plants both need and use.

I recommend that people vary the greens and browns that they add to their soil. So for greens use coffee grounds, manures, grass clippings and so on.

For browns use: various types of leaves (Maple, Beech, Linden Tree, Apple, Peach and so on.) Also, add wood (sticks, twigs and so on) to the soil. I just cut up anything as large as a stick.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”