hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Fall cleanup

I used to be really bad, letting the summer garden go through the winter without weeding and cleaning up. The past couple of years, I've been much better. Today I cut the last of the jungle of weeds in one 'in the ground' part of the garden. Now all beds have been weeded or cut back. The garden is clean and almost ready for planting. Tomorrow will plow the last patch that got overgrown after crops finished this summer. It feels really good, going into the fall with the garden either planted in fall crops or with the soil prepped for spring planting.
Eclectic gardening style, drawing from 45 years of interest and experience. Mostly plant in raised beds and containers primarily using intensive gardening techniques.
Alex

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I feel ya I am in the middle of cleanup myself. Though not for a final end. I want to ammend it for spring, put in garlic and plant a somewhat cover crop.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

I'm not too much into cover crops. Seems they are as much trouble to turn under as is dealing with weeds. I may plant some sweet peas, some lettuce, and some turnips, all over planted just to act as a soil stabilizer. If planted, those will likely be pulled and added to the compost pile in the spring, rather than being turned under. Most of my beds are planted in fall and winter crops, so stay in production 12 months out of the year.

I'm hoping to make more compost and of better quality this year. I lost access to horse manure a couple of years ago, so need to find another source. My compost is generally about 80%-90% oak leaves, so need to start adding manure and more greens. I'm getting so many raised beds that many bushels of compost are needed each year, just to keep the beds filled to a decent level.
Eclectic gardening style, drawing from 45 years of interest and experience. Mostly plant in raised beds and containers primarily using intensive gardening techniques.
Alex

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Funny I am just the opposite. I have way too many greens in my compost, maybe we should make a trade. :D

When I say cover crop I am talking mustard. With our winters it will just die off. If not I will be eating mustard and adding a lot of it to the compost. :lol:

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

We definitely live in a different gardening world. Here it will freeze almost every night from now until April. Nothing will be growing except ice.

Fall cleanup consists of getting the remaining crops off the area, putting the fallen leaves on the garden and running the tiller over everything.
Gardening at 5000 feet elevation, zone 4/5 Northern Utah, Frost free from May 25 to September 8 +/-

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”