KarlS
Newly Registered

Squash bugs

I have had a squash bug problem for the past few years that has been getting steadily worse. I grow gourds and pumpkins and most of them are devestated by the bugs. I try to squish them, and squish the eggs, but it is basically without hope because we only get up to our farm 2 days a week max. I wondered if anyone knew of any varieties of gourds/ pumpkins that are resistant to the bugs? Any solutions to the problem? Have tried just about everything, even Sevin doesnt work very well. Hoping for a solution, else I will have to not grow them for a year or two. :(

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

What I am thinking about trying for my squash bug problem, but haven't yet is Neem oil.

It has two methods of killing - like any oil it can kill on contact, by clogging up the insect's breathing pores. So you want to be careful to spray late in the day after the honeybees have gone home. Otherwise, once it is on the leaves, it kills when ingested by leaf eaters and is harmless to non-leaf eating insects.

It is a bit slow acting. It works sort of as a hormone disrupter, messes up the bug's system so they quit eating, breeding etc and eventually die. So you won't see them falling over dead instantly, but it should work.

KarlS
Newly Registered

Like Ive said I have tried literally EVERYTHING in the books. including neem. The problem is so bad here and the only way I think to get rid of them is to use the industrial strength the kill the earth chemicals that farmers use comercially.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”