Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Dry Red Bell Pepper Powder

I have a garden full of Red Bell peppers. I cut 8 of them into small pieces, removed the seeds and dehydrated them by placing them in the house attic for 2 days. I used the spice grinder to make powder.

Color and flavor are very interesting. It looks like chili powder and tastes like chili powder that is not spicy.

After doing an online search for different kinds of chili powder I found a place that says, mild chili powder contains dried red bell pepper powder.

Question. Is Red Bell Pepper Powder a Herb or a Vegatable?

[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h292/mikeweaver/001.jpg[/img]

Thomas CA

Looks good!

"Question. Is Red Bell Pepper Powder a Herb or a Vegatable?"

Neither! At that point, it's a SPICE! ;)

Tonio
Green Thumb

Gary, Didn't you just make Paprika??

:D

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Tonio wrote:Gary, Didn't you just make Paprika??

:D
I just looked up Paprika, You are right it is Paprika!

It is a spice.

That is the last time I will pay $4 for a tiny container of Paprika.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

If you think you may need more "preserving" for your spice - there is a salt you can buy for the purpose.

I don't know much about it, Gary, but I guess it is a fairly common ingredient. There are people who have really gotten into this sort of thing, altho' I don't know if many are gardeners, growing their own spices. As I understand it, finely ground salt is an ingredient in meat rubs, cheese and in candies. I think it is the same as the popcorn salt but, of course, it wouldn't have any butter flavoring added.

You can also buy salt grinders and process sea salt in them. It all sounds like fun to me and I will be looking for that fine salt as my hot peppers dry over the next few weeks. I'm a little tired of running peppers thru the blender and freezing them. Scraping a little out of a container from the freezer is kind of primitive behavior and a little hard to use for roasts and grilling compared to a sprinkle here and there from a shaker . . .

Steve

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I have noticed when I sprinkle salt on things most of the salt bounces off. There is a lot of salt wasted. I grind salt into powder with the kitchen blender and spice grinder. Don't grind it too fine like dust it gets all clogged up in the shaker and won't come out. Powdered salt works much better than regular salt on pop corn and other things because it does not bounce off. Powdered salt sticks to every thing.

applestar
Mod

I chopped up and dried wilted (after harvest) Chinese celery stems which were too tough to use in a stir-fry, then ground them up with sea salt in a coffee grinder. Voilà! Celery salt. :D

Ruffsta
Green Thumb

hmm.. I have a coffee grinder I really don't use and it's new.. hmmm, maybe I will test this - I think it would be nice to make my own spices instead of spending money on something I can make on my own..

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Gary350 wrote:I have noticed when I sprinkle salt on things most of the salt bounces off. There is a lot of salt wasted. I grind salt into powder with the kitchen blender and spice grinder. Don't grind it too fine like dust it gets all clogged up in the shaker and won't come out. Powdered salt works much better than regular salt on pop corn and other things because it does not bounce off. Powdered salt sticks to every thing.
Gary, you are way ahead of me!

There's a supplier of seasonings not very far from my home (spokaneseasoning.com). I just checked their website and they've got all sorts of stuff, including different kinds of salt!

Steve

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”