TheWaterbug
Greener Thumb

Sterilizing tomato cages?

I made tomato cages from concrete reinforcing wire this year, and they worked well. Unfortunately my tomatoes acquired some sort of fungal infection and died a slow, horrible death :(

How can I sterilize the cages for next season? They're 5' tall and 2' in diameter, so they're a bit large to submerge anything.

I thought about filling an old trash can with a weak bleach solution and dipping them twice (flipping them over in between) but that leaves me with a problem of disposing of a lot of bleach solution.

applestar
Mod

I heard that some people use weed burner torches on them.
Somehow that makes more sense to me than to try to soak or scrub down with bleach solution.

Haven't tried any of these methods myself, so I'm just passing along the info.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

I like the propane weed burner idea, but I'm pretty sure none of it is necessary. I would be more concerned with the soil. Crop rotation if you can. :wink:

Eric

TheWaterbug
Greener Thumb

DoubleDogFarm wrote:I like the propane weed burner idea, but I'm pretty sure none of it is necessary. I would be more concerned with the soil. Crop rotation if you can. :wink:
Yeah, the tomatoes are going to the far end of the garden next year, as far from their present location as physically possible.

I do have a propane soldering torch in my garage; I can try that. I suppose a few passes over the metal should be enough, no?

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

ouais

Eric

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

It is necessary. I couldn't figure out why I would keep getting the same fungal disease every year. I then started cleaning them and havent had is since. I use 409.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

ReptileAddiction wrote:It is necessary. I couldn't figure out why I would keep getting the same fungal disease every year. I then started cleaning them and havent had is since. I use 409.
Ok then. I would use vinegar.

Eric

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

Vinegar? I could just fill up a bin with warm soapy water and some bleach and wash it down with a rag.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

I'm not arguing with you. I just said, "I would use vinegar".

Eric

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

I don't think you are arguing. I just didnt know vinegar will kill it. I will try that instead of the bleach. Can I just throw the vinegar in the grass after?

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

I would be careful. Do you have some weeds to get rid of?

When I say vinegar, I'm talking white distilled vinegar. It's a safer house cleaner disinfectant. High acidity.

https://www.vinegartips.com/scripts/pageViewSec.asp?id=7

Eric

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

"Can I just throw the vinegar in the grass after?"

You can if you don't mind killing the grass. Vinegar is a good herbicide as well as disinfectant.

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

Not going on the grass! I have spent so much money trying to get my lawn to look nice. About half of my back yard is PERFECT but the front is mediocre at best :oops: I even spend money hiring a professional gardener (he kinda sucks I doubt he will be working for me much longer).

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”