rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I sometimes hang things, have mint, anise hyssop, and lavender hanging right now. But if I want it done quicker, or I'm running out of hanging room, I dry in the oven. Turn the oven on as low as it will go. Spread the leaves out on a cookie sheet and put them in the oven. After 10 min, turn the oven off without opening the door. After 1-2 hrs, check them. If still not dry (crisp), turn the oven on low for another 10 min and then off again. You want to dry them, not bake them.

Speaking of anise hyssop, I have some dried already, some distilled, and more hanging to dry and I still had more. So I am making strawberry- anise hyssop jam. It is simmering on the stove right now and it smells HEAVENLY!! If it turns out as good as it smells, it will be one of those things you just want to eat out of the jar.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

:arrow:
Last edited by DoubleDogFarm on Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

what is anise hyssop?

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

It is a perennial herb that has a licorice scent and flavor. Good for teas and a few other things. I have a nice 3 foot plant right now which is blooming and planted three more in my front yard.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yes, PR did a good job. One of my favorite things to grow. It blooms all summer until frost (mine is still blooming here in Ohio too), bees and butterflies love it, and it is wonderful in herbal tea blends.

And the strawberry anise hyssop jam did turn out wonderful. I made three cups of jam with only one cup of sugar and it is lovely. The anise flavor is delicate not overpowering. (That's why I didn't try making just anise hyssop jelly, thought it might be a bit strong.) A lot of what I am putting up now is destined to be Christmas presents, but it will be a major sacrifice to give this stuff away! :)
Last edited by rainbowgardener on Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

applestar
Mod

Sounds fabulous. :D

Brandywinegirl

In Pennsylvania the weather has been cool the last few days. My broccoli and collards are doing pretty well and I am almost at the end of my beans. Not sure when or if the worms will show up on the broccoli since its cool now - first time growing broccoli. I am keeping my eyes open. I still have some lemon cukes growing.

Beet seeds tried but no cigar. I only have 4 left and I don't think they are gonna make it. :cry:

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”