GardenRN
Greener Thumb

Quick sweet potato question for the experts

I dug my sweet potatoes today and a few had pushed out of the ground and tuned green on one side.

I know they are not actually potatoes so I am wondering if they are still ok to eat. My initial, quick google search turned up a few results all saying that they ARE ok to eat. Just thought I'd run it across the board real quick before I make the family sick. :?
Jeff

USDA Zone 7a, Sunset Zone 32.

Failure is only a fact when you give up.

SOB
Green Thumb

I had just read this morning on my extension's website that you would need to eat a large quantity of green potatoes before you get sick. Not sure if the same goes for sweet potatoes but I would think they are OK.

applestar
Mod

Considering you can eat sweet potato leaves and new shoots, it seems like green skin on tubers would be ok to eat. In any case, you could peel or cut off can't you?

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Sweet potatoes do not produce solanine, so if a sweet potato pushes up out of the ground and its tip turns green, there’s no need to throw it away.

Read more: https://www.grit.com/garden/vegetables/growing-sweet-potatoes.aspx#ixzz26SBhLNIs
Gardening at 5000 feet elevation, zone 4/5 Northern Utah, Frost free from May 25 to September 8 +/-

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

Yeah that was the same place I found info real quick James, I just thought I'd run it by the board. But I feel ok about it enough now. Although I'll probably still eat one myself before I feed it to anyone else.... :wink:

Thanks y'all
Jeff

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Don't think it is a problem

Even "irish" potatoes when green need to eaten in large quantity's before they really mess you up. My stupid neighbor came by one early morning drunk, yes ealry morning and drunk, still going from the night beofore. I was digging potatoes and had some real small green ones. he asked what they were and after explaining what they were and that they were toxic. He promptly threw on in his mouth and ate it. Did I say hes was drunk and kind of stupid. :D Well he's still alive, still stupid but still alive. :lol:

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

Actually I think cranially challenged people are blessed with digestive tracts and immune systems of iron. I used to work with a guy (back when I worked construction) who was always drunk all week and high all weekend. Literally ate from dumpsters because he would rather have spent his money on cigarettes, and lived ..well, you get the picture. But I never knew the guy to have a sick day in his life, or hardly even get hurt! Never missed work, its amazing. Look at Keith Richards, Mic Jagger and the guys of bands like Aerosmith and AC/DC, they should all have been dead a long time ago. Any of us would have died of a heart attack or kidney failure decades ago. That's not to say that those band members are stupid but, you get what I'm saying.

And now that I am sufficiently off track....let me stop. And start cooking a half green sweet potato.
Jeff

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

And now that I am sufficiently off track....let me stop. And start cooking a half green sweet potato.
Make sure it's not a "half baked" sweet potato. :lol:

Eric

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

You should not dig your sweet potatoes until after frost kills them. They probably had another 6 weeks of growing to do.

Cover the potatoes up with dirt the green spot will go away in about 2 weeks.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”