Royiah

Fall planting now or later?

Ok so I just bought some plant starters for my fall garden and was wondering if its a little early to plant them out side? Its pretty hot here and I wanted to know if putting them out in this heat would kill or stunt them? Should I keep them inside a few more weeks or plant right now?
I have burssel sprouts, calliflower, and chinese lettuce.
:?

TheWaterbug
Greener Thumb

Royiah wrote:Ok so I just bought some plant starters for my fall garden and was wondering if its a little early to plant them out side? Its pretty hot here and I wanted to know if putting them out in this heat would kill or stunt them? Should I keep them inside a few more weeks or plant right now?
I have burssel sprouts, calliflower, and chinese lettuce.
:?
How hot is "pretty hot?"

It's in the upper 80s here in Los Angeles, we can't even buy brassica starts here because no one's selling them yet. They say, "Too hot. Wait a month."

Then again we don't get freezing temperatures here, so there's no rush.

Royiah

(How hot is "pretty hot?")
well yesterday was at about 100 and were sitting at 80 right now.

Royiah

Marlingardener wrote:I'm not sure about Chinese lettuce, but here in Central Texas we plant loose leaf lettuces in mid- to late October. Other brassicas like cauliflower and broccoli transplants go into the ground the third or fourth week of September. If they are planted in soil that is too warm, they don't thrive.
Since you bought the starters, why not use this time to harden them off and get them used to outside temperature fluctuations and more sunlight (gradually increasing the amount of direct sun every 2-3 days)? You could even up-pot the lettuce if necessary.
The plant store had them out side in full sun and they looked really nice so I don't think I really need to harden them off...

Halfway
Green Thumb

Royiah wrote:(How hot is "pretty hot?")
well yesterday was at about 100 and were sitting at 80 right now.
Easier to sit on your hands another 2 weeks and insure they are relatively safe.

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

Later, you're too far south. I'm just getting ready to put some fall stuff in the ground now. And I'm a good bit north of you

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Lettuce I would plant after a rain and most small seeds since the ground has been really dry!

Royiah

I admit I probally jumped the gun when I bought the plants. I allmost never go into town and they close so early that I took the chance to buy the plants.
And as for the lettuce I wanted t do them by seed I just couldnt find any seeds at this time of the year... Souldve bought them in the spring...

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

Or posted on here...people always have extra seeds they will sell, trade, or donate. :wink:

Royiah

Ehh really! But isnt it too late to do them by seed?

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

No way, I am starting my fall lettuce crop tomorrow.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”