TheWaterbug
Greener Thumb

Pumpkin patch time lapse

I still have 7 weeks to go, but [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lpu8-2r02-o]here's what happened in August[/url].

I missed July because my Plant Cam's batteries died on me :(

Francis Barnswallow
Green Thumb

I couldn't get the video to play. Probably my internet connection speed. :cry:

sciencegal

I can't get it to play either. Other youtube videos play fine.

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

growin growin growin......keep those pumpkins growin... :) I didn't have a problem seeing it. Didn't look like you had a lot of rain, but the vines looked great! Glad to see mine aren't the only ones that wilt during the day.

TheWaterbug
Greener Thumb

GardenRN wrote:Didn't look like you had a lot of rain, but the vines looked great! Glad to see mine aren't the only ones that wilt during the day.
Heh. We get pretty much zero rain between May and September, so I have a drip system going. You can't see it because it's buried under foliage :D

I do have a lot of powdery mildew going on in the lower part of the patch, but the pumpkins are pretty much all full size in that region of the patch already, so they just have to orange up.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Awesome I think I remember you talking about doing this a while back. That is cool I wish you could slow it down a bit.

Cool 8)

mhannum
Cool Member

That was a really cool video - what a big pumpkin patch!

dtlove129

Water, how did your giant pumpkin plant do?

TheWaterbug
Greener Thumb

dtlove129 wrote:Water, how did your giant pumpkin plant do?
The plants are doing fine, but the phreakin' peafowl have been eating my blossoms, and I hadn't had time to protect them.

I very recently put some cages over the blossoms and fruit, and right now I have about 4-5 that are softball-sized or larger. I'll let them all grow for about another week or so, and then I'll cull to the largest one for each of the two vines.

That doesn't leave much time before the party, but if it stays warm here they (allegedly) can grow a lot in 6 weeks.

TheWaterbug
Greener Thumb

^^
On Sep 03, 10:30 AM, you can see one of the accursed beasts trudging through the freshly tilled remains of my failed potato patch (just to the left of the hose cart)

And then, on Sep 03, 2:15 PM you can see a gopher dig out a tunnel right in the middle of the potato patch. I got him with a trap last night.

dtlove129

So how much water are you giving each of these plants? I lost my giant pumpkin vine during this drought. It had a couple of fruit on it about the size of softballs or larger when it started shriveling.

Francis Barnswallow
Green Thumb

The video is working for me now. Pretty cool. :D

TheWaterbug
Greener Thumb

TheWaterbug wrote: Heh. We get pretty much zero rain between May and September, so I have a drip system going. You can't see it because it's buried under foliage :D
And today we're getting our first rain :)

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”