madonnaswimmer

Carrot leaves turning brown

This is my first year growing carrots-- a friend gave me some seeds he had left over, so I don't know what variety they are. I planted them in a container. I thinned them out when they were a few inches tall, and had some delicious baby carrots. The guinea pig enjoyed the tops.

Throughout the season, occasionally some leaves will turn brown and dry up. I have been picking these leaves off as soon as they dry up. The rest of the leaves are green and appear healthy.

[img]https://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a360/madonnaswimmer/Sep1082.jpg[/img]

Is this normal as the carrot grows?

Also, it seems that this has been happening more rapidly in the past 2 weeks. Does this mean the carrots are at the end of their season? Should I pull them? If not, when do you know when to pull them?

madonnaswimmer

Well, that's good to hear.

When do you pick carrots? I'd hate to keep watering them daily if they won't be getting any bigger from here on out.

sciencegal

madonnaswimmer wrote:Well, that's good to hear.

When do you pick carrots? I'd hate to keep watering them daily if they won't be getting any bigger from here on out.
You can pull them when you want to eat them. Just feel down around the top of the carrot to see how thick it is. Some carrots aren't as good as others as baby carrots.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Seems to me my carrots continue to grow until after it freezes. They will get quite large.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”