Gorkys
Newly Registered

Should I pull up my cucumbers?

I planted several cucumber plants around mid may of this year. I've noticed in the past week or so that they're starting to die off. There's only a bloom or two left, and no cucumbers are currently growing.

Would it be alright to pull these up to make way for my autumn vegetables? Also I'm located in Zone 5 (Chicago) and am wondering when I should plant my autumn veges? :) This is my first year gardening so any advice is greatly appreciated!

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

You may as well pull them. I don't know what you can plant there this time of year, but here the only thing I will plant this late is some garlic in late September for next years crop. You may have a bit more time there in your area. Someone near the area will chime in I am sure.

Welcome to the forum.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I think you are in zone 6 like me. You could be planting all the cool weather crops now. That includes beets, chard, cabbage, broccoli, carrots, lettuce, spinach, onions. I wouldn't plant garlic until later, usually October. Then it over-winters and will be harvested next summer.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”