sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

Squash bugs or stink bugs on my tomatoes??

I've never had this happen before. seems as though they're eating my tomatoes. GRR. I just went out there and picked everything that is starting to turn, bc by golly things are FINALLY starting to turn! finally! yet, the lat 5 tomatoes I let ripen fully on the vine got eaten holes and I find these bugs on them every time. Must be the bugs right? anyone have this happen before?

Moonshadow

I noticed a stink bug on a tomato last week.... I'll have to check when I get home and see if I see any more and any damage. (Weird that they'd go after tomatoes though....)

applestar
Mod

Same here, though less in number than last year (so far anyway -- knock on wood). They go after peppers too. Every day I move the fruits around or water the plants to get the buggers to move up so I can catch them -- thy are good at hiding.

They're quick to jump off so having a container of soapy water is a good idea.

ALSO I'm finding nymphs with the adults almost every time. These are soft and easy to squish and Leo will succumb to soapy water spray unlike the hard-shelled adults.

(I'm also finding harlequin bugs and their nymphs on kale, Brussel sprouts, nd cabbage. :evil:)

MaryDel

The holes will heal up pretty good when the tomato is still green, but holes in ripening fruit will rot quickly.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

MaryDel wrote:The holes will heal up pretty good when the tomato is still green, but holes in ripening fruit will rot quickly.
This is exactly what has been happening :( Now I'm just takign everything that is blushing and bringing them in. my house is going to be a mess LOL

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

applestar wrote:Same here, though less in number than last year (so far anyway -- knock on wood). They go after peppers too. Every day I move the fruits around or water the plants to get the buggers to move up so I can catch them -- thy are good at hiding.

They're quick to jump off so having a container of soapy water is a good idea.

ALSO I'm finding nymphs with the adults almost every time. These are soft and easy to squish and Leo will succumb to soapy water spray unlike the hard-shelled adults.

(I'm also finding harlequin bugs and their nymphs on kale, Brussel sprouts, nd cabbage. :evil:)
Interesting! hmmm. I think I should go out with a bucket, but you're right, they're sure fast!

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

yes I have the same thing along with cucumber beetles. the cuke beetles have seemed to flourish here the past few day's not so many stink bugs though.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

Come to think of it, I haven't seen any cucumber beetles in about a month. I kept sprinking DE on the plants they liked and apparently they decided my place wasn't worth it?? now I wonder!

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

sheeshshe wrote:Come to think of it, I haven't seen any cucumber beetles in about a month. I kept sprinking DE on the plants they liked and apparently they decided my place wasn't worth it?? now I wonder!
Thanks a lot I think they all came down here. :x :wink:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yeah, I have some of those marks on my tomatoes. Since I let the tomato plants get huge and sprawling this year, it's hard to check for what is going on in there. So I'm just picking my tomatoes as soon as they blush. Most of them come out ok that way.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”