gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

When to pick watermelon

I have 5 watermelon all getting big. I have never really grown it and when I did it wasn't worth picking, and when it was I picked it too early. :oops: :lol: :cry:

Is it like cateloupe or pumkpins kind of. Look for the stem to brown or the closest tendril to brown up. They have a somewhat hollow sound but I'd hate to rush it and ruin them. They are 2 differant variety's. One is Canada they other I can't recall off hand.

Thanks

Dono

applestar
Mod

When? -- When your spouse has tossed the sprinkler you didn't put away into the watermelon patch in a fit of temper when he unexpectedly decided to mow the lawn before leaving for his mother's birthday party, from which we didn't get back until after dark and therefore I didn't realize what happened until next morning, when I discovered that the sprinkler had narrowly missed a nerly ripe watermelon but killed the vine it was growing on. :evil:

As luck would have it, the tendril was already brown, and when I barely touched it with a super sharp sushi knife, the rind split open with almost a "pop" sound -- usually a sign of ripeness 8). It wasn't super sweet but delicious never-the-less. :)

RogueRose
Green Thumb

I'd like to know the answer to this too...I've been taking my food scale into the garden and weighing my watermelons. The ones I have grow to 5-7lbs so I am waiting for them to get that big!

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Is it true you are not supposed to water about a week before harvest? I harvested a few melons and none were that sweet.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

PunkRotten wrote:Is it true you are not supposed to water about a week before harvest? I harvested a few melons and none were that sweet.
Yes true with most if not all fruit/veggies. the extra water dilutes the sugar content making them more bland.

So Apple I should wait for and errant sprinkler to tell if they are ripe, or what?

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

When? The great watermelon mystery. I don't think anyone has the answer.

The tendril where the stem of the melon meets the vine is one indicator. It needs to be completely brown and dried up. As soon as that happens wait a week. :) I just picked one that the tendril was dry, but it could have waited a bit longer. The flesh was mostly red, but still a little green throughout. The seeds were not all black yet. Not quite ripe.

The old thump test. Here is how it goes. Pat yourself on the head, the chest and the tummy. Now pat the melon. If it sounds like your head, it is not ready. If it sounds like your chest, its just right. If it sound like your tummy, its too ripe.

Now the real test that never fails. A knife.

That's what I know about watermelons....................

greenstubbs

How do you check for a ripe one in the store, or do you just grab & go? Same rule applies here. The shades of green will change and become flatter in color than bright like a young one. The ground side will almost turn yellow like most melons will. These are what I use.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I picked watermelons one summer along the banks of the Mississippi river when I was on summer break during college. We were instruction to roll the melons over, if the bottom is yellow pick it, if it is not yellow roll it back over.

I sold fruit and melons at a fruit stand one summer too. People use to thump on the melons, squeeze the melons, tap on the melons and listen for a hollow sound, I told them to look for a yellow bottom.

When I go to the grocery store these days I always look for melons with a yellow bottom. I think they must pick melons early like they do pick tomatoes early it is very hard to find a melon with a yellow bottom these days. When I find one I buy it and it is always ripe.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Yellow bottom and flatter color sound like good clues too. Maybe the best clues.

I have to wonder if a watermelon will continue to ripen once picked, like most fruit will? Perhaps so, but it will never be as sweet as if left on the vine until ripe? What do you think?

I have a bunch of melons out there that will probably not be real ripe by frost. Can I bring them in to finish ripening?

barrelslime

Watch the stem. When it starts to loose its greenness and livelihood pick it.

MaryDel

I use a combination of brown tendril, a nice hollow sound, very heavy for it's size, a creamy white patch on the bottom, and most importantly ridges running from stem to the end.

Run your fingers around the center of the watermelon. Ripe watermelons develop ridges across the rind as they mature and become sweeter. You can actually see the ridges if you look closely. All of the 20 or so varieties I have grown have them.

JAL, I'd try to cover the plants up with some old sheets or blankets at night when you expect frost, it works with tomatoes.. I don't think they ripen up after picking, maybe a little, but not much.

Jeremy brua

This was my first year growing them. I picked a bunch last weekend and they were ready. I tried to wait till the stem died but I was loosing melons every time it rained so with rain in the forcast I went for it.

As for getting ripper after they are picked. From what I read the seeded ones will but seedless will not.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Jeremy brua wrote:This was my first year growing them. I picked a bunch last weekend and they were ready. I tried to wait till the stem died but I was loosing melons every time it rained so with rain in the forcast I went for it.

As for getting ripper after they are picked. From what I read the seeded ones will but seedless will not.
Why do you say you were loosing melons every time it rained? We are about to get 6 - 8 inches of rain from Isacc.

barrelslime

University of IL Extension
Many home gardeners experience difficulty in determining when watermelons are ripe. Use a combination of the following indicators: (1) light green, curly tendrils on the stem near the point of attachment of the melon usually turn brown and dry; (2) the surface color of the fruit turns dull; (3) the skin becomes resistant to penetration by the thumbnail and is rough to the touch; and (4) the bottom of the melon (where it lies on the soil) turns from light green to a yellowish color. These indicators for choosing a ripe watermelon are much more reliable than "thumping" the melon with a knuckle. Many watermelons do not emit the proverbial "dull thud"when ripe. For these, the dull thud may indicate an over-ripe, mushy melon.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

My melons are either hanging or on top of huge cusion of grass. I have no white OR yellow spot. Problem is I never grew these variety's before so I have no idea until cutting open. :roll:

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I just came from Wal Mart super store. I have been ignoring the water melons all summer because none of them are yellow on the bottom. I finally bought a $6 water melon and a $3 honey dew both are white on the bottom. I wasted my money both melons are not ripe. They both have about as much flavor at News Paper.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Gary try this

2 cups Shredded Newspaper
1 Tsp Salt
1 Tsp Pepper
1 Tsp Basil
1-2 Garlic Cloves minced
1 Med Onion diced
1/4 Cup Olive Oil

Mix Newspaper, Salt, Pepper and Basil toghter set aside. Saute Garlic and onions just to brown. Add in Newspaper mixture and simmer for 10 -15 min. Serve on pasta, bread or eat plain.

It's heaven Gary. :lol:

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Saute Garlic and onions just to brown.
Just about anything sauted with garlic and onions is yummy.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

jal_ut wrote:
Saute Garlic and onions just to brown.
Just about anything sauted with garlic and onions is yummy.
Amen to that!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”