gardenvt
Green Thumb

Parasitic nematodes and trichogramma wasps

I noted awhile ago that I lost onions due to onion maggots. I did some research and learned that parasitic nematodes would take care of them and other bad pests including grubs which become Japanese beetles.

We also had problems with cabbage worms and the trichogramma wasps (a near microscopic creature) do a good job with them and others.

We applied both to our garden/yard almost two weeks ago and can already see a difference. We will make another application of the nematodes this weekend and both in the spring.

I'm growing onions next year. :)

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Thank you for the report.

I'm always afraid if I release any beneficials they will just fly off, crawl away. Maybe if my neighbors release them they will come to my garden. :)

Eric

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

DoubleDogFarm wrote:Thank you for the report.

I'm always afraid if I release any beneficials they will just fly off, crawl away. Maybe if my neighbors release them they will come to my garden. :)

Eric
I feel the same way Eric. But with nematodes even bacteria they won't be getting too far.

applestar
Mod

The way I understand it, those pheromone traps are not intended to catch the pests but to detect them. You are supposed to release the beneficials when the traps indicate that you have the pests present in your garden.

You could always release them under floating cover tunnels or inside the greenhouse, too.

I'm thinking of getting some beneficial nematodes this fall as well.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Does BT work on the cabbage worms? I have trouble with them in the Fall and I think I should prepare for them.

gardenvt
Green Thumb

BT does work on cabbage worms but you have to reapply the powder form often due to watering and rain. You can use the spray form but you might get the chemical in places you didn't plan to. You also want to consider when to spray as this can impact the bee population in your garden.

The trichogrammas have done a marvelous job in less than two weeks. The brussels sprouts and kale look really awesome now that no one is eating them. The wasps come on a large card that has 30 1" cards that you cut and staple on the underside of the leaves protecting them from rain or watering. The large card contained approx. 100,000 of these very tiny wasps.

We used a mix of the nematodes as the SC works near and on the top of the soil and the HB goes deeper into the soil. Together, they do a good job. By applying them again in the spring, I should have much better luck with the onions and other crops.

Here is a link to the beneficial insectary information:
[url]https://www.greenmethods.com/site/biocontrols/[/url]

applestar
Mod

So, gardenvt, would you say this is the work of trichogrmmas?
[img]https://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll272/applesbucket/D0606EE4-C71D-40FB-81CB-0E3C59AD7252-25423-0000119B0ED957C1.jpg[/img]

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

Where is everyone getting the nematodes?

gardenvt
Green Thumb

Apple, I don't know who ate the leaves but that worm and its larvae is definitely a job for the trichogramma wasps.

GardenRN, see my previous post for the website where I got mine from. You can order directly from the web or talk to someone who can help you determine what quantity you need. Having a chance to describe the pests/problems to someone, you may be advised to buy other "good bugs" as well.

applestar
Mod

Thanks for the confirm. I'm finding those small clusters of pupae on almost every crucifer. :twisted:

Now I need some nematodes --

Hmm... Love the thorough info there (sounds as though I should have ordered earlier for best results) but the breeder/site is California-based and shipping express/special care (which I agree with) for that distance is outrageous. Anyone know any equivalently good sources closer to the east coast?

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”