Moonshadow

Too late for broccoli...?

I was silly and indecisive and I just ordered my fall seeds. The carrots and snap peas should be fine, based on what I've read, but I think I missed the boat on broccoli. (I'm in Zone 7a).

I'm considering planting some just to see what happens. Should I even bother, or just save my seeds for the spring? :?: I'm going to be planting in containers, so would bringing them inside when it gets too cold be an option? (I have a woodstove, not central heat. I would put them up in the cooler spare bedroom upstairs.)

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Not at all according to the Planting Guide for Zone 7a. It recommends Aug/Sept for the fall planting.

Moonshadow

That's for seedlings, though, isn't it? I bought seeds, so I'll be starting them inside (or just throwing them straight in and seeing what happens) in a week or two, whenever they arrive.

applestar
Mod

I think it might be late for fall harvest unless you can put up a cold frame or low tunnel (or a small greenhouse) over them to protect them.

According to this [url=https://www.southernexposure.com/growing-guides/fall-winter-quick-guide.pdf]Va-based fall/winter planting guide[/url], Broccoli heads can only handle temps down to 28°F... And that's assuming your plants form heads.

At this point, the next option is to sow about a month before first frost for early spring harvest. This works if the seedlings are YOUNG enough to withstand freezing temperatures (leaves down to 15°F per website above) and they are mulched well to protect from heaving and protected from windburn with at least frost blankets/covers or with additional poly tunnel cover or blanket of snow.

Rainbowgardener posted that she was successful doing this last winter, thanks to the milder winter temperatures. I'm definitely wanting to try it out. I think she said she sowed her seeds in October.

Variety has to be considered too. Some varieties are more tender than others (sometimes called "summer" broccoli -- ones that are bolt resistant in heat) and some are frost hardier. If using a poly tunnel, disease resistance is a good feature too.

Moonshadow

I ordered Calabrese, from Seed Savers. It doesn't say much about hardiness.

I think I could throw together a cold frame.... Maybe I'll try a few plants out in the frame, and bring a few inside once it gets cold. See how they do.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I planted broccoli seed outdoors, direct seeded in the ground, last year in mid October (because I didn't have the space ready for them until then). By the time winter shut them down they were still small and not nearly heading up. But we had a mild winter and they over-wintered just fine (no covers or anything) and started growing again very early in spring (actually late winter) and did great. Between the over wintered crop and the spring planted crop, we ate broccoli from the garden for months this year. Go for it!

Moonshadow

Bummer! I was reading some books I picked up last night, and one of them mentioned Calabrese specifically as a warm-weather variety. :( Bad choice, I guess.

But I'm going to try it anyway!

Moonshadow

Lowe's had three sets of Packman seedlings left, so I snagged one. I've only gotten a few planted so far, but hopefully this puts me where I need to be.

TheWaterbug
Greener Thumb

Heh. I stopped by Armstrong's Garden Center yesterday, and they don't have any broccoli, cauliflower, or Brussels sprouts starts yet because it's still too hot, here.

88 degrees, today.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”