chubwolf

zucchini and tomatoes in same bed.

Hi,
I have just started a small garden, just one bed at the moment. I bought 2 tomato plants a bell pepper and a zucchini. Is it ok to have them all in the same bed? Thank you.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

I don't see why not; they all like warmth and lots of sun and appreciate lots of water. You've put together veggies with similar needs--always a good tactic! :)

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

But it depends on how big the bed is. The tomato plants need a good amount of room. The zucchini plant also needs room. There are bush type zucchinis and vine type. The vine type can just spread outside the bed. The bush type has huge leaves and will overshadow your pepper plants easily.

If your bed is 4x8' you should be ok. I have a 5x10 bed that has two huge tomato plants (this is late in the season for me), 2 pepper plants, a parsley plant and two basil plants. The pepper and basil plants are a little smaller than they would be if less crowded, but producing fine. I tried planting some beans in the left over spaces, but they got totally crowded/ shaded out. I did have a zucchini plant in the middle, but the vine borers got it, so I don't know how well that would have worked once it got bigger. I think out there you don't have as much trouble with the borers.

Best wishes! Lucky you, it is not late in your season!

chubwolf

Thank you both for your replies. I'll post a picture soon. also, it turns out there is not as much sun as I thought. maybe 4.5 hours. then the sun goes behind a tree for a while. comes back for a while then goes behing a hill.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

A little less than you would have hoped for. You can still plant there, but your tomatoes and peppers will be slower to produce and produce less than if they had a couple more hours of sun a day.

Or you can wait a month or so and plant cool weather crops there - lettuce, cabbage, broccoli, spinach etc. They will tolerate the the lack of sun better. Use the shadier one as a cool crops space and find a sunnier spot for the summer crops.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

The plant in the center is a single bush zuchinni, they can take over. If it is a vining plant think 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 times this size. :lol:
[img]https://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj185/gixxerific/Gardening/DSC06097.jpg[/img]

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”