Jeremy brua

HOT peppers !!!!!!

I planted some carrot peppers this year. They took a while to do anything but now they are covered with peppers. A few changed from green to a very bright orange so I decided to try one out. I cut the very tip off of one and tried it...well it had no fire at all. So I thought what the heck and took a big bite. BAD IDEA That thing was HOT!

Now I have the problem of what do I do with them? They are to hot to can to many like I do my banana peppers. Or if I pick thr unripe ones will they be a little milder? Or does anyone know how to make a good hot sauce?

Thank you.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

I grow the same ones. I thought they were as hot or maybe a little bit hotter than serranos. I use it to make salsa mostly. I also canned a few with pepperoncinis and hot cherry peppers. Have not popped open that jar yet to try them so can't say how they taste. I also add diced hot peppers to food that I want to kick up a notch. All pepper heat is usually mellowed out when you cook it or mix it with other foods.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

applestar
Mod

Have you looked in the Recipes forum?
Here's a thread about what to do with habaneros:
:arrow: https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=121850

Somewhere in there is a recipe for hot pepper jelly. I love that. One year I made a batch with a whole slitted Aji Dulche pepper in each jar. It was like a special treat and only dilemma was whether to eat the Aji dulce as soon as I opened a jar or to save it until the very end. :roll:

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

got a few recipes for cold-steeped vinegar hot sauces - I want to experiment with old-school fermented-peppers hot sauce, but if you haven't done much fermentation stuff, it may not be the place to start. I'll see if I can dig out a recipe or two...do you have a blender?

buddy110

I'm growing Ghost peppers and I did the same thing, biting off the tip, then taking a bigger bite... It was painful, but my family got a kick out of it.... :)

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Hot peppers? First wear rubber gloves, pick them wash them and cut in half and lay out in the sun to dry. When dry pack in a canning jar and set it on your shelf.

Step 2: Never plant them again.
Last edited by jal_ut on Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

buddy110

My son just ate a whole, fresh ghost pepper.....OUCH

Jeremy brua

I think I might try drying some. After serong the other post about crossed peppers I migh try them again next year and see if they take on some banana traits. I also think it might have to do with the dry wheather we all had this year.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”