jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Cucumbers

[img]https://donce.lofthouse.com/jamaica/cukes.jpg[/img]

Getting cucumbers by the bucket full now.

applestar
Mod

Very nice! Armenians in the left bucket? Lemon and the regular kind (I can't remember what variety you said you grow.... Something with a number isn't it?

Have you ever tried a Japanese variety? I'm trying to decide on next year's. I've tried Yamato in the past but it turned bitter beyond edibility (and it's bad when I can't eat something because it's too bitter).

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

There are some armenian, bupless, lemon, and marketmore 76 in that heap. What is funny, I thought I had picked pretty clean yesterday, but my wife wanted some smaller ones for pickles, so I went out this morning early to see what I could find. Well....... I found two more buckets full, most of them large. My eyes must have been painted on yesterday? I did find enough smaller ones for her to do a batch of pickles.

Of the bunch I think the Marketmore 76 has the best flavor.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Good Job, James!

I have real trouble finding cukes. I'm usually out there early and the shadows from the leaves hid those dark green slicers. I'm no better with the lemon cucumbers. They are lighter color but so are the leaves on those vines. Also, they are round . . . the leaves are round :roll: .

This is the 1st year that I haven't had a Japanese cucumber in the garden in the last 15 years, I'd guess (unless some of the "Americans" are from Japan). I tried growing Diva a Beit Alpha type several years ago. It must of been the least productive cucumber I've ever grown - and it was another bad start to the growing season that year, too cool.

Last year, just as cool or cooler than ever, I grew Muncher. That little Beit Alpha did fine! I've got it again and it is producing just fine this year! Also, I made room in those early onion and shallot beds to put some late cucumber starts right in the middle of things. Now that the onions/shallots are harvested, the cukes have the run of those beds. They have just started producing and the vines look great! They not only will make good use of that fertile onion ground but they missed Junuary since they were set out about the 1st week of July. The earlier planting came in 1st and are doing okay but this later planting is an eye-opener :shock: for me.

Steve

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

This is the 1st year that I haven't had a Japanese cucumber in the garden in the last 15 years
Not sure what you are calling a Japanese cucumber. I think the cucumber is from India originally. Lots of cultivars have been developed.

The Armenian Cucumber is taxonomically a muskmelon. I wonder what it would be like if you let it get ripe? I don't think much of it in its early stages. No flavor to speak of.

[img]https://donce.lofthouse.com/jamaica/cuke_t.jpg[/img]

Northernfox
Greener Thumb

wow!!! nicely done!! I have two plants and god all of 4 fruit ;) I think next year I must start them in the house ;)

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”