ButterflyGarden

Too Early of Peas, Too late for Peppers?

It's HOT here. The heat usually doesn't break until mid October and we historically do not go below 70 until mid to late November. Is it too early then to start peas now, or will they be ok?

Also, someone gave me 3 tiny pepper plants. Can I still plant them outside and expect to get peppers?

Thanks

applestar
Mod

I pre-germinated soaked peas in zip bag of moistened potting soil placed in the refrigerator for several days. I had planned to sow them when overnight lows got down to mid-60's ...°F (daytime in the 80's) but they sprouted earlier than expected and I had to sow while lows were still in the upper 60's.

I sowed them deep -- nearly 2". Peas sown in areas with even a little bit of mid day shade (e.g.shade of okra) sprouted better than areas with all day sun.

For me, it was a one shot deal because time was running out relative to my first average frost date, but if you don't have to worry about frost, you could always sow more in bare spots,

The peppers might sulk in the heat, but will probably resume growth after things cool down. Maybe provide shade while it's still hot.

ButterflyGarden

hmm, so my overnight lows are currently in the low 60's but my daytime highs are in the high 80's or 90's. They will be grown in pots with sun only in the morning (not when it is at it's hottest). What I was most worried about was that they would fry in the sun. Do you think it will die or just grow slowly?

klevelyn
Cool Member

My peppers are finally doing well. I think they like the 80's better than the 90's. You might as well plant the peppers. What would you do with them if you didn't plant them?

I was thinking it was time to plant peas. Thanks for the information on pre- germination. Our night temps are in the 50's and days in 80's so I guess it is time.

They are predicting a warmer than normal fall.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”