SLC

Potato Plants - End of Life Cycle - Need HELP with questions

I have about 30 Russet Potato plants, and the plants have been dying back for about a month now. I have only picked a few so far to eat right away. But as I was digging around, I noticed that most of them are still fairly small. It is my guess that in another month the plants will be totally dead. (I don't know really since this is my first time really gardening, so I may be wrong.) Also, if it helps, our first frost around here is "typically" mid November, but whoever really knows when it comes to New England.

So now I have a few questions.

Are the potatoes still growing at this point?

When will they STOP growing?

How long can the potatoes stay in the ground?

Should I leave the potatoes in the ground even after the plants completely die?

Is there a point when I NEED to harvest ALL the potatoes?

Also, since we do not have a basement, my bf's father said to store them in the garage in a cardboard box with sand in the bottom and cover it...but cover it with what? (Of course, I didn't think to ask him at the time)

BUT there are soooooooooooooo many bugs in the garage, well, mainly spiders, and you know how I feel about spiders. Will they get into the box? Will any bugs eat the potatoes?

OR, is it safe to store the potatoes in a plastic container with a tighly sealed top, even if I put sand in there? Or do they need to "breathe" or something? Please help, cuz I have NO clue!

Also, I have no idea why he suggested putting sand in there.

Please note: I am trying to store them with what I have now, cuz I really can't afford to buy anything "special" at this point.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

If the vines are looking pretty sad, it is not likely that the potatoes are still growing. They are probably done.

You will want to dig them before the ground freezes. It doesn't hurt to leave them in until cold winter approaches. They won't survive frozen ground. I am assuming your winters are cold enough there to freeze the ground?

I stored some in 5 gallon buckets in the garage and covered them with a piece of cloth. An old shirt. It lets them breath a bit. Yes they need some air. They kept for a couple of months like that. I would not store them in a plastic container with a plastic lid.

Sand? If you want to put them in a container then cover them with sand, it helps to keep them from dehydrating. Dehydration is the main reason for potatoes going bad.

Oh, if it freezes in your garage, the potatoes will freeze. They will spoil if frozen.

Here it is usually Thanksgiving when we better have the gardening done, as its going to get rough after that. I think you can leave them in the ground and dig some as you need them, for a couple more months any way.

Dillbert
Greener Thumb

I've had rotten (bad pun. . . ) luck storing potatoes so I dig "as needed" from the new potato stage forward.

I don't do a "mass dig" until after the first/second frost. there's a trick to that - put some kind of markers where the stems "were" - helps orient the digging....

I try not to plant too many - the idea is to have 15-20 lbs from the last massive dig. that much will keep for me.

Ohio Tiller
Green Thumb

I have been able to store potatoes most of the winter in buckets with a old towel over them.

DO NOT WASH THEM! they will store much better if you dig them let them dry in the sun for a day then store them!

But the best way to save them is canning.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Canning? Potatoes? I haven't heard of that before; can you give your general approach, please?

Thank you!

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Yes, you may can potatoes using a pressure cooker. The Ball Blue Book has the details.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”