applestar
Mod

I found a bag of last year's beans in the bottom of the chest freezer :oops:
Top 1" (about 6 beans worth) were seriousy frost bitten, and another 1" was speckled so I relegated them to my one cat who loves string beans (she will go digging after the ends I tossed in the compost bag :roll: heck I START processing beans and she'll smell them and come running, then stand on her hind paws, reaching up for the countertop and begging :lol: ).

The rest looked fine but thawed soft with no squeak left in them, so I cooked them with bacon, onions, garlic, a bit of butter, and some diced beet leaf stems in water and chicken broth. Freshly ground black peppers and pink Himalayan seasalt before serving. I didn't cook them very long -- the beans were al dente (so to speak) and yummy. :D

I think I'll try the recipe with this year's beans too. :wink:

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

How do you taste the beans after all that?
:lol: :lol:

Has anyone cooked snap beans then puree. Use them for soup base or other dishes?

Eric

applestar
Mod

It's a very different flavor after a lot of cooking vs. very light cooking.
Soup base sounds interesting. How about Pacific halibut stew? I could picture it with same size pieces of white potatoes and turnips for different flavored white chunks, or yellow potatoes for visual fun. Maybe pearl onions.... 8)

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”