SLC

NEW - Quick onion questions - scroll down to my latest post

I am growing white onions. A few of the tops have fallen over, but are still attached. But on one of them, it looks like the top has been ripped off. The onion is just average size. BUT, the roots are still attached. Will it keep growing?

Also, how long after the tops fall over should the onion be harvested? Is it still growing even with the tops fallen over?
Last edited by SLC on Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

They may still grow a bit after the tops fall, but the top is going to shrivel and start to dry up at some point. It is then that they are done growing and you can pull them and dry them more in preparation for storage.

The one with the top ripped off is likely done growing for this season.

SLC

Can I pick the one without the top and use it right away or do I have to wait a certain amount of time before use?

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Onions are interesting in that all parts of the onion are edible at any stage of their development. You can eat it any time you want. I don't eat the roots nor the dried tops, but the bulbs, and stem/leaves when green are certainly tasty. Even the flower scape and blossoms are edible. Enjoy!

Ohio Tiller
Green Thumb

Just remember don't cut the tops off while drying or you will get rot from the inside out.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Ohio Tiller wrote:Just remember don't cut the tops off while drying or you will get rot from the inside out.
I want to say that the rot from the inside out is if they have thrown a seed stalk/flower. If it hasn't gone to seed I don't THINK it should be a problem. That being said you should leave the leaves on until dry the onion/bulb will use up the nutriants as it dry's.

Check me on this James. 8)

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I think you are pretty close. That seed scape leaves a hole in the center of the onion. Use these first. I have at times seen the seed scape come from the bottom at root level and curve around the bulb. These come off with no problem. Too bad that is not always the case? Yes, I always leave the leaves attached (after pulling) until the onions are dry and the top is totally dried up.
I do want the tops to be drying up pretty well before pulling the onions. If my onions have not fallen by mid August I smash the tops so they will get to drying up before I need to pull them. I need to pull them by September 1 so they can have some drying time before frost which comes too early here. Looking at my calendar, its time to smash the tops. Some of the Big Daddy onions are still growing. The Spanish onions have already fallen of their own accord. Fall approaches. I hate to think that I have maybe a month before frost.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I love your mountain scenary, but I would not love your growing season! I have an extra month (maybe plus a few days) on each end and still I complain that it is too short and I want to move south....

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote:I love your mountain scenary, but I would not love your growing season! I have an extra month (maybe plus a few days) on each end and still I complain that it is too short and I want to move south....

But down south they have a shorter season as well. Albeit a longer season in general but a huge break in the middle.

On my tomato forum we have been discussing the perfect climate for tomatoes. Doesnt' seem like there is one in the US. Got to deal with what we got and go from there. :D

klevelyn
Cool Member

My onions are falling over as well. I just keep them in for a while and pull them by the end of Aug.

Then I let them dry out for a week or so before storing. You can pick them as you want to use them for eating most anytime. I use the green tops and the bottoms early in the season before the tops go brown.

I love the smell of fresh pick onions.

SLC

see next post

SLC

Just so I am sure cuz it is almost time...

So when the tops start to shrivel, I should pull them out of the ground and let the onions sit on top of the ground with the tops on for a week to dry out?

Or should I let them sit for more than a week?

What if it rains?

Also, I don't know why I wrote in my first post that I am growing just white onions....I am growing red ones too! Not sure if that makes a difference in the above questions?

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

once they get pulled, I usually pull them in to dry/cure somewhere up off the ground, and under cover in case of rain...preferably somewhere with lots of moving air.

tops on. more than a week (except the ones with injuries, which should get eaten quickly).

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I love your mountain scenary, but I would not love your growing season! I have an extra month (maybe plus a few days) on each end and still I complain that it is too short and I want to move south....
Perhaps the short season is a blessing? I get a break. Perhaps tomorrow I will rob some of the honey from the bees then extract. It will be a busy season with the garden coming on and taking care of the honey.

SLC

Maybe I should have mentioned....I definitely won't have enough onions to store....Is the drying out period only if you are planning on storing them? Otherwise, I can just pick when I need, correct? Or should I pull them anyway? Will they rot if I don't pick them once the tops have shriveled?

SLC

Still wondering about my last post with questions....does anyone know?

Also, I just picked a few today cuz I thought I would use them tomorrow. I cut off the tops and roots and brought them inside. But what if I don't end up using them tomorrow? How long will they last since I just cut off the tops and roots without letting them dry out first with the tops on?

I think I am confusing myself. Here's the ones I just picked.

[img]https://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/SecretlyLovesClay/Garden/P1090431.jpg[/img]

Not sure I can really do anything with that mini one! But the top had already shriveled up and died, so I picked it anyway.

Ohio Tiller
Green Thumb

all I know is that when I cut off the tops before they have completly dried out I get center rot. I have started just leaving them on and letting them hang that way.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”