lakngulf
Greener Thumb

Way to Go OKRA !!!

After the beans burn out, the squash is squashed, and the tomatoes are wilted, Ol Faithful OKRA just keeps on pumping. So refreshing to look out on a new morning and see the okra blooms just saying "Come on heat and sun, we got some pods to make"

[img]https://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab104/lakngulf/IMG_0809.jpg[/img]

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

My Okra is doing great too. It is the only thing that is doing very well in our heat. My beans are playing out and it has become very evident this past week with lost of foliage drop and beans that are not forming as well as before.

I stew a lot of my okra down for gumbo and soups and have at least 20 qt. bags in my freezer now with no end in sight. Well, it will end when I pull them in about 1 month from now to make room for some fall stuff. By then I'll be tired of fooling with Okra for another season.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Kinda makes me wanna give Okra a try. I grow things that I usually eat a lot of. I have had Okra a few times in soups/stews but that is about it. What else can you do with Okra?

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

PunkRotten wrote:Kinda makes me wanna give Okra a try. I grow things that I usually eat a lot of. I have had Okra a few times in soups/stews but that is about it. What else can you do with Okra?
I pickle it with some hot peppers for a nice bit of zip and use them in salads, eaten plain and in Bloody Mary's along with some pickled green beans.

I also fry it from time to time in a batter of a corn meal based fish fry that I season with salt, black and cayenne pepper and garlic powder. I'll cut it up in 1/2 inch thick pieces, dredge them in a mixture of an egg and a tablespoon of sour cream beaten together then a coating of the fish fry then into the hot grease till done---about 4 minutes or so.

My wife and I also love it grilled. You take several spears and line them up on a counter top with the pointy end and then the stem end in a row, take 2 skewers and run them through the ends to form a "raft". Then brush them with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt, black pepper and a bit of garlic powder and grill them like you would any vegetable.

I love them just steamed till fork tender and drizzle them with olive oil, basamic vinegar, salt and pepper.

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

gumbo2176, I only have the few stalks you see in the picture, as the rabbits helped themselves to a whole row that I planted later. So, we have pretty much eaten all we have gathered.

PunkRotten, down this way a main summer dish is fried okra. Many ways to do it, but my wife has the best. Slice tender okra about 1/2 inch pieces, salt, pepper, coat with flour and corn meal. Fry in hot vegetable oil. Can't beat it.

I also use it in soup, cooked down with tomatoes.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I also fry it from time to time in a batter of a corn meal based fish fry that I season with salt, black and cayenne pepper and garlic powder. I'll cut it up in 1/2 inch thick pieces, dredge them in a mixture of an egg and a tablespoon of sour cream beaten together then a coating of the fish fry then into the hot grease till done---about 4 minutes or so.
There ya go, cover it up and hide it until you can't tell what it is.

Okra=Yuk!

Sorry, I don't like okra and Eric doesn't like summer squash. Nothing likely to change there, just the way it is. Maybe you could try that with summer squash Eric? Put enough other stuff on it until it is masked?

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

Well, you both lose then. Had some fried okra for dinner tonight, along with green beans and tomatoes. GOOD.

Eric, take the summer squash, grate it about the size and texture of hash browns, salt, pepper, and add some corn meal. Fry in veggie oil til golden brown. It is best to let that first side cook until crisp before the first turn. As my mother says "Don't fret over it too much to start with"

Another great dish with the okra: Cut the okra as above, then cut some green tomatoes about the same size. Mix in the salt, pepper, flour and corn meal and fry together. Even Jal would like this.

Ohio Tiller
Green Thumb

PunkRotten wrote:Kinda makes me wanna give Okra a try. I grow things that I usually eat a lot of. I have had Okra a few times in soups/stews but that is about it. What else can you do with Okra?

Do a good old southern fry on it slice it about 1/4 inch thick roll it in egg and then flour. Fry it till golden brown if you have any southerner in you You'll love it.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”