sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

getting nervous that none of the tomatoes will ripen

before the frost! So far it is mid august and I have ONE tomato blushing. ONE!!!!!!!!! that is it. usually we;re getting tomatoes weeks prior. They're loaded with tomatoes, but gee, most of them aren't even their full size yet! I know they're all 3 weeks behind, but 3 weeks when it comes down to a frost date is a long time. I know we get a frost in sept, but I can't remember when. I'm thinking later in Sept.... I'm secretly hoping that we have an extended summer this year :lol: I've picked maybe 3 cherry tomatoes?? serious!

btrowe1

Mine just started and boy are they all starting to turn quickly.. I'm about a month or less from 1st frost also, but amazed that I said the same thing last week and just picked 1/2 a bushel yesterday...

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

Oh really?!?!? Maybe there is still hope yet!!! I sure hope so. I'm beginning to panic for sure!

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

take it easy Sheeshshee. let s count to ten and take a deep breath. :lol:

If they are starting to turn that usually means it is on and they will start pumping them out. Give it time you will be fine.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Me too. It is not looking good.............

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

jal_ut wrote:Me too. It is not looking good.............
Oh yikes :( I'm sorry you're in the same boat!

Hopefully they come in. I think I'll get some of course, but not nearly the amount I hoped for. which sort of stinks.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

[url=https://www.tomatosite.com/index.php?NT=Cultivation&RE=Truss_Timeline]Here is a timeline for a truss of Big Beef tomatoes (click).[/url]

(I'm always a little disappointed :? that the photographer allowed the fruit to become overripe but it is all in the interest of science, I suppose.)

Sheila, what the photographs show is that there is about 45 days between pollination and a ripe tomato. You can see that there isn't much difference between the look of a bud that has lost its flower after pollination and a bud before a flower opens. I'd need a magnifying glass - still, there is a time difference of nearly 2 weeks! It isn't as tho' I'm around every day and checking every plant so that I really know when pollination has occurred.

Last year about this time (I made note of it on 8/15), I was convinced that new-to-me Dagma's Perfection was going to be a near total bust. There appeared to be no more than 1 or 2 developing fruits on each plant. On 9/12, I began picking fruit off those plants. By 9/26, I had entirely changed my mind about the ability of Dagma's to produce in my garden! In about 40 days, those plants had gone from about nothing to being covered with ripe tomatoes!

Fortunately, fortunately, fortunately - we had a late frost in 2011. I'm hoping for a similar result in 2012. So far, I wouldn't have been able to overfill my hat with what I've harvested from 60+ tomato plants of 20+ varieties. Some of those varieties have come thru for me for many years. If it freezes the 1st of September, I'm sunk . . . but, I'm hoping & expecting better.

Steve

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

WOW! that is amazing, thank you for all of that!!! Now to check my calendar to see if I can figure out when they started pollinating :) :) :) and to check my newly pollinated ones to see I they have a chance toO!

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

As September comes, I watch the weather forecast closely. If it looks like a possible frost, I cover my tomatoes with a plastic sheet. It is 6 mil of the type builders use for vapor barriers under concrete floors. The tomatoes always end up ripening under wraps in October.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

No kidding!!! huh! Well, I have some of that left that I could probably cover a few. I had more, but I've been using it for other stuff :)

Ohio Tiller
Green Thumb

Hey and there is always fried green tomatoes !!!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I haven't tried covering the tomato plants in fall, maybe I will this year. When frost is due, I just pick all the green ones and let them ripen inside. Last year with late frost, I picked all the green ones when I was worried about frost, but left the plants alone. They got covered in tomatoes again, so I was able to pick a whole 'nother crop of green tomatoes.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

well that is pretty cool!!!!

I finally picked the first one last night! YEAH!! I think it was a cherokee...

I still can't figure out which ones are my green zebra...? maybe those all ended up at my friends house?? or at the clay field, who knows!

lily51
Greener Thumb

Sorry to hear of the tomato troubles. It is a mystery here, too, except sporadic results from person to person. Some have tons of tomatoes that aren't ripening, others have best crop ever.
Here's one that makes no sense, so maybe you have some ideas.
My dayghters' families got their tomatoes from me, which I started from seed and grew in greenhouse until May. Mine are producing the most of any garden I've ever had; their tomatoes don't want to ripen.
Suggestions are welcome!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

All gardening is local. I have tons of tomatoes from the two plants in my sunny front yard. Hardly any from the five in my shady back yard.

Perhaps conditions in your daughter's garden aren't as conducive. Micro climates can make a big difference- the difference between conditions at the bottom of a hill where cold air collects and the top of the same hill can be a whole zone.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”