canuck

fertilizing raspberries

I am starting a raspberry patch in a corner of my yard--I just wanted to know what kind and how much fertilizer I should use to get the most berries out of my canes.
thankyou

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Just buy some bagged compost and work that into the soil as well as some manure like mushroom manure, steer manure or what have you. If you use chicken or sheep manure; be sure that it has been composted as these two are hot manures and will burn the canes if not previously composted.

Each fall, shred some leaves (Maple, Apple or what have you) and add them to the canes after pruning back the past years growth with some more manure and you'll be just great.

Also, if you can find it (shouldn't be hard to find) add a handful of Kelp meal to each hole before you plant your canes).

canuck

thankyou for the tips--I am just getting into gardening over the past 2 years and am always looking for tips

Adam Fletcher
Newly Registered

Hi :)

I bought some 'soft fruit' food from our local aldi last week. I am going to try it on my rasaberrys (as it says on the pack) to see if it affects their growth.

I will keep you posted on the results!!

canuck

I have never seen soft fruit food before..I wonder if it has a different name in Canada or if I am just looking in the wrong place. I am from a small town and we don't have alot of selection. Could you tell me what it is made up of.
I hope that it helps your berries -- let me know how it goes.
Thankyou

hugh

Raspberries are actually surface feeders and if that doesn't sound too much like fish.

So dig a trench or at least a few holes and stick the plants in. Now they are wood land plants, so they like there roots to be moist or at least not to dry out. So:

1) don't fill the trench fully in - leave a little depression to hold water after it rains or shove the hose pipe in if it hasn’t rained.

2) Get some humus with the fertiliser. If you have compost great - otherwise ask at the local garden centre. And put it on top! This humus containing fertiliser will keep the roots nice and humid plus feed the roots which are near the surface.

Now be moderate with the fertiliser otherwise you will get massive plants and few fruits. Raspberries are actually quite gross feeders and greedy- so the best idea is to shovel give some now and some latter in the year, say just as the fruits become moderately large but still white.

Now as they are surface feeders, don't hoe and you break the roots. I am afraid you have to hand weed, gently. Wait until the soil is damp and just pull the things out.

Raspberries are quite tough but need a good air circulation around them. If you have trouble with this and can you reply as there are two methods of growing.

canuck

Thankyou for the advice--hugh.
I would have probably overdone it with the fertalizer so I will do a small application when I plant them and another later in the year.

Rebecca
Newly Registered

canuck wrote:I am starting a raspberry patch in a corner of my yard--I just wanted to know what kind and how much fertilizer I should use to get the most berries out of my canes.
thankyou
How are the raspberries growing? The idea of compost and manure works well with mine. I've been growing them for over five years with these two additives and harvest a beautiful crop. Rebecca in Alaska

canuck

Hello there in Alaska

I have used mushroom manure in my raspberry patch this year and it seems to be doing really well. I definatly have more berries than last year and the plants look much healthier.

yarm
Newly Registered

hi can someone please tell me if you can use horse manure as a fertiliser around my raspberry canes.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”