wingsprouts
Newly Registered

newbie needs help

I've just started my garden about a month ago, and I'm a little overwhelmed with all the information. Here is what I'm trying to grow: jalepenos, eggplant, a variety of sweet peppers, red onions and tomato. My problem is that everything germinated (with the exception of one row of orange peppers) but none of the sprouts have gotten any bigger. They are all leafy green and about 2 inches high (the red onion is about 4 inches tall), but have been this way now for weeks. Can anyone help me? I know very little about gardening but I'm very interested and really looking forward to nurturing my little garden along. I just need some knowledge on my side! :)

It might help to say that I'm in Phoenix, where the rules might all be different with the heat we experience...

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

wingsprouts wrote:I've just started my garden about a month ago, and I'm a little overwhelmed with all the information. Here is what I'm trying to grow: jalepenos, eggplant, a variety of sweet peppers, red onions and tomato. My problem is that everything germinated (with the exception of one row of orange peppers) but none of the sprouts have gotten any bigger. They are all leafy green and about 2 inches high (the red onion is about 4 inches tall), but have been this way now for weeks. Can anyone help me? I know very little about gardening but I'm very interested and really looking forward to nurturing my little garden along. I just need some knowledge on my side! :)

It might help to say that I'm in Phoenix, where the rules might all be different with the heat we experience...
I live in SE Louisiana and in the summer months my garden really suffers with the exception of things like eggplant, okra, some beans and peppers. If you just planted your garden only a month ago I can understand how it is not making much progress in your heat. My plants are hurting a bit and they are well established and have been in the ground for at least 3 months or more. I doubt our daily highs are as much as the ones you experience in Arizona even though we're likely much higher in humidity.

Another thing is the condition of your soil. My soil is clay based with tons of organic matter added over the years to make it better for growing my garden. What type soil do you have? Have you done a soil test to see if it needs any type fertilizer to bring it into balance? Any idea what PH your soil is? Most plants grow pretty well in a PH neutral soil.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Welcome to the forum and to gardening! But you picked a tough time to start. I don't know where you are exactly, but I looked and in Phoenix it is 105 right now! Not exactly gardening weather, for you or your plants.

The eggplant likes heat and should make it if well watered. Okra is something else people grow in those kinds of temps.

Keep the rest well watered and see what happens. If they haven't made good progress by first of Sept, I'd pull them and replant. Then by mid Oct you can start planting seeds for cool weather stuff: broccoli, cabbage, spinach, lettuce, carrots, etc.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Welcome to the forum. Yes, I will agree with the others, it is likely the heat.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

The rules *are* different in Phoenix. I strongly advise becoming familiar with Sunset's Western Garden Book and the Sunset climate zone system. Together, they'll tell you when to grow what in Phoenix (or wherever a gardener happens to be living).

There are eight Sunset climate zones in Arizona, from 1A (coldest) to 13 (warmest). There are 27 Sunset climate zones in the western states and provinces, from 1A to 24, plus the relatively new ones of Alaska A1 through A3 and Hawaii H1 and H2. (The USDA's Hardiness Zone System covers all of North America with maybe 11 zones, so it's clear that Sunset is much more precise in its zone classifications.)

I've seen the Western Garden Book in public libraries, hardware stores, garden "centers" at big box stores, independent nurseries, book stores, and of course online, both new and used. Buy or borrow according to your preference, and let Sunset help you understand the gardening/growing conditions in Phoenix.

Best wishes, and happy gardening!

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

farmerweston

What type of tomato are you trying to grow in Phoenix? My mom lives there and I gave her a small "Solar Fire" variety tomato for Mother's Day. It's producing fruits now... Solar Fire is very heat tolerant, as its name suggests.

wingsprouts
Newly Registered

Thanks, everyone! I didn't take into consideration that summer in arizona is brutally different than elsewhere, and chose heat sturdy plants, but I don't think they mean THIS heat tolerant. Everything has died besides the jalepenos and eggplant sprouts, and they're both still very small and getting yellower. I have not done a soil test, but it sounds like I should. I'll just keep watering and hope when it cools off they will get better. It's such a sad sight, my little garden. I had high hopes for it. At least the basil is growing! :) You guys are so helpful, and I really really appreciate the feedback a lot!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”