applestar
Mod

Is this clubroot?

[img]https://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll272/applesbucket/ec21b62a.jpg[/img]
Sorry for some reason the photo wasn't automatically rotated....

applestar
Mod

Looked around for info and Ugh! club root it is. :x

Fungal disease that persists for 10-20 yrs in the soil !!? :shock:

Liming and following with cereal grains. No crucifers. :roll:

I wonder if planting garlic helps.... 8)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Wow... never seen anything like that. What is the plant pictured?

I don't know, but garlic seems to be good against anything, up to and including vampires, so it couldn't hurt! :)

applestar
Mod

Those are (well... WERE) rutabagas. :(

I guess I know what I'm planting there for fall. Hmm... I have spelt and triticale in the freezer, I think. I *could* try barley there since its a protected area. If barley does survive the winter in that bed, I could try dry cultivating rice there next year and try to follow the Fukuoka method exactly (barley, clover, rice rotation). 8)

It makes sense that you've never seen this. Alkaline soil is the cure: 1500lbs/acre hydrated lime to being up soil pH to 7-7.2 at least 6 wks before planting (or chemical fungicide :x) -- but I can't do that there because there is a healthy Swamp Azalea to the side of the bed -- which also is a good indication that this area is defintely on the acid side. :?

Maybe I'll try potatoes the after the grain.... Hmm... Should the grain be grown there for the whole season and not just green manure? So potatoes the following year (unless barley survives, then maybe permanent Fukuoka bed).

:idea:...OR maybe southern high bush blueberries and some rabbit-eyes which I normally can't grow. 8)

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Sorry to hear Apple it seems clubroot is a real booger to get rid of. Liming is probably the most effective but only on lightly affected soil it seems it does not work as well on heavily infected soil.

Corn and alfalfa seem to work as well as slolarazation.

Here is a link I found that had some differant ideas than most if you haven't seen it

https://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/crops/hort/news/vegnews/2010/vg0510a2.htm

Good luck

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”