PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Could someone explain the difference in Summer/Winter Squash

Hi,

I am very new to Squash. I got my first squash plant going now it is a Spaghetti squash. I got thrown off by the "winter squash" title. I have found out that both winter and summer squash need to be grown during spring/summer? Is that correct? I sowed these spaghetti squash seeds mid-july cause the instructions said to start in summer months and harvest in Fall. I am really confused about the names, why call them winter or summer if they all have to be planted when it is warm? Could someone shed some light on growing these and explain the names a little better? Thx

applestar
Mod

I think basically you eat winter squash after they are fully mature, during fall and winter. They typically have hard skin and can be stored at room temperature for a while -- several months, though there are varietal differences. Some varieties have skins that are hard but cook up soft enough to eat. They typically take 90-120 days until harvest -- often but not always just ahead of frost.

Summer squash are harvested during the summer (and fall) months as immature fruits -- like cucumbers and eggplants -- while the seeds are still immature and soft and the skins are tender. You need to store them in the refrigerator -- maybe two weeks max. They typically take around 52-68 days to begin harvesting and will keep on producing until frost (or pests/diseases kill them -- which is very often) as long as you keep picking the immature fruits.

You grow both kinds during spring-summer-fall because they need warm soil to sprout and grow well, and the leaves (and immature fruits) are sensitive to frost. Mature winter squash fruits can handle light frost but need to be protected from heavier frost and must be brought inside before freezing temperatures or their storage longevity maybe compromised.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Ok so really the summer title applies to squash you pick immature, and winter variety you pick mature. This is good to know cause I plan to grow some next year. Thx

Dillbert
Greener Thumb

nothing to due with "maturity"

winter squash "keeps" - like for the winter . . .
harder skins.

summer squash does not keep.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Ahh ok that makes more since.

applestar
Mod

:? I think I said that....

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

and I will add Summer squash is awful and Winter (storage) squash is delicious. :wink: :lol:

Eric

Dillbert
Greener Thumb

[quote="PunkRotten"]Ok so really the summer title applies to squash you pick immature, and winter variety you pick mature. This is good to know cause I plan to grow some next year. Thx[/quote]

nothing to due with "maturity"

winter squash "keeps" - like for the winter . . .
harder skins.

summer squash does not keep.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

wait, what? it's totally valid to say that maturity is a way to think about them. almost all summer squash/zucchini you'd buy in a store (I.e. picked 'when they're best') are immature, with small, soft, seeds. it's at least something to do with maturity at harvest.

bell7283

Winter
[img]https://i1076.photobucket.com/albums/w447/bell7283/DSC_0014.jpg[/img]

Summer
[img]https://i1076.photobucket.com/albums/w447/bell7283/DSC_0033-1.jpg[/img]

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I always think it is about when you eat them. You are right that they both are planted in spring and grow through summer. The summer squash are much quicker growing so you can be eating them in summer. They are soft skinned and don't keep, so when they are gone, they are gone The winter squash are bigger, slower growing and probably aren't ready until early fall. Then as people have said, they are hard skinned and store well, so you can be eating them in winter.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”