PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Confused when to start Celery.

Everywhere I look it says Celery is a cool weather crop. But I have read that you should start it in Fall, other sources say start in JAN-FEB. But I was also told if temps dip below 55F they will go to seed once it warms up again. I have been hearing from many people that Celery is hard to grow. I was reading something and they said to keep the soil constantly wet for the celery almost like a bog plant I guess. If this is correct I may grow it in a pot and keep a bowl under it with standing water. I gave up on trying to grow Celery but I think if given good instructions it is worth trying.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

The best time and place to plant celery is "Don't Bother".

I am sorry, but if you want celery go to the market and buy some.

What a totally frustrating plant to grow. FWIW

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Interesting... all gardening is local...

I am growing celery this year, for the first time in years and I love it, it is so easy and carefree...

I have it growing in two beds. One in the backyard in a spot that should be way too shady for it and one in full hot sun, in my community garden bed that I only mostly even look at every couple weeks (though I think some kind spirits in the community have watered it a little when they water theirs).

Both of them are thriving and beautiful, no critters, insects, or diseases have bothered them. In the community garden bed I planted a little row of them, 4 plants across a 4 foot wide bed and it has turned into a little celery hedge.

Given our heat and drought, it has been watered some, but very minimally, certainly not growing like a bog plant. (but the shade helps protect the backyard ones, which are in rich soil and well mulched and the full sun ones are well mulched and have rows of dwarf marigolds on both sides which also help shade the ground)

I started it from seed indoors and planted it out as soon as danger of frost was past.

I don't have enough experience with the celery or your climate to know what you should do, but at a guess, I would start the seeds now in pots in a shady area. Once it is cooler, get it gradually used to full sun and transplant it out.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”