DownriverGardener

SO who sells their produce?

So I grew a lot of stuff this year. Too much stuff. I am obsessed. I admit it.

After canning, cooking, giving stuff away to family and friends, I still have had on a regular basis many many tomatoes, peppers, cucs, etc. Why not share my organic produce with the locals?

I set up a little farm stand out by the road - my road is rural, but very busy, especially during Mon thru Fri rush hour. I can't keep the tomatoes on the table! They're selling like hot cakes. I might even resort to just selling them for the rest of the season.

What's even cooler is that since I put my table out in late June, I've already made back what I spent on the garden.

Just though I'd share my story :clap:

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I sell at two farmers markets. One in my hometown is very small and few customers, but the same reliable customers come every week and buy veggies. The other market is in a larger city and lots of customers and vendors come. I do pretty well there, but with more produce vendors there is competition. I usually make enough for gas and a little besides. Over the season, it will offset garden expenses. Both of these markets are good social events. If it were not for that aspect of it, I would not bother.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I have sold a little to a produce stand, but more than anything I give him advice. I give more away than I should, I though about getting my kids to sell out of the driveway.

One day...........

manny

I'm very inexperienced and still learning loads and loads(thanks to everyone here I try and read everything) and my gardens pretty tiny but I tell the other tenants in my building that they can go and pick what they like from the garden. :P The closest thing to selling is the produce that goes to the building owner for watering the garden

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

[img]https://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h22/Digit_007/Just%204%20Fun/smiley1753.gif[/img]I do!

Just like with real estate, it is all about location, location, location.

You can have the best produce in the world but if the customer can't find you, you won't be selling any of it. They generally get slowed down and will stop at a farmers' market, like where I sell. Sometimes, those places don't work either. Seems like everybody with an empty parking lot thinks they can have a farmers' market. Ain't so . . . but that's a market management problem (& yours too if you throw your lot in with them).

Steve

Ohio Tiller
Green Thumb

I just give it away when I have what I need canned and put up. If my grand kids lived closer I would set them up a stand so they could sell some. But I enjoy giving it away to me this is the best part of the garden sharing with friends and family. We bring in a bucket of tomatoes and green beans to work all the time and they are gone in less than an hour.

I now have my kids a garden set up so they don't need near as much from me any more. I have cut back on a few things so I can put out more potatoes.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Ohio Tiller wrote:. . . I have cut back on a few things so I can put out more potatoes.
Ha!

Good plan!

Steve

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Potatoes are a good crop garlic too. The garden return on those kind of things are huge.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”