dtlove129

End of the road....

Well our city just upped the water restriction. Starting Thursday we can't water really anything except vegetables, and you can only water them by putting water in a 5 gallon bucket or smaller and pouring it around the plants. No watering of trees, flowers, yards, etc unless you a nursery.

Luckily we got like 1.5 inches of rain this past Saturday after I had watered everything real well. I actually wouldn't even water this week if they hadn't put the ban on us. Also luckily I'm about finished with my garden. I really only care about my tomatoes and pepper plants now, and I've gotten enough salsa and stuff out of them that if I had to I could let them go.

I may not get a jack-o-lantern though since they will probably die now. I wish they would realize that my drip system would probably conserve more water than me pouring 5 gallons around each plant on Tue, Thur, and Sat. They probably do know that I'm too lazy to do that at this point in the year. I'm also glad I decided against any fall crops. I just had a feeling it would get to this point, and I didn't want to waste my time watching things die.

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Its alot of work someimes for what you get. For all I have planted this year I have not gotton alot yet! My sunfloers are a exception and are beautiful but not much to eat! I probably gotton 30 zucks and should have had a 100 or more. Most of my tomatoes are cracked but lot coming now! Cukes no good. My cylinder beets always do great compared to other beets!

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I am kind of wating for this as well. Sorry to hear.

One devious plan is "soaker hoses". Shh don't tell anyone. 8)

With all the water wasted around here on turf it kind of pisses me off. I am thinking these are the people that would bring a ban on. When I have for the most part not been watering my lawn only the garden. Also I don't spray it in the air and loose all that to evaporation.

I was working in a subivision yeaterday where most people had in ground srpinklers. I was just about sick when I saw the river running down the "street" from all the runoff. :twisted:

dtlove129

Yeah I agree with all the yard watering. I like having a nice yard as well, but I don't waste a bunch of water on it.

I have a drip system which is better than soaker hoses on conserving water, but I'm not too worried about it since I'm about finished for the year anyhow.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

No offense but why do you think drip is better than soaker? I want to learn not fight. 8) :D

I would do a drip system but my configuration changes every year. If I had lots of land and a basic straight row setup where I could leave a drip in than I might do that. But in my case I would have to pull it up every year and change it around. Which doesn't work if you have to cut lines to fit a certain config.

Thanks Dono

dtlove129

Well maybe not configuration wise, but money wise it is better. A soaker hose soaks water all the way through it all over the hose. The drip system only emits water every 4-24 inches depending on what distance between emitters you choose. So instead of me soaking the 24 inches between plants with a soaker hose I'm only putting down .9 gallons of water per hour every so many inches right at my plants. Plus every soaker hose I have had springs leaks, cracks, etc. You can add onto the drip system and run lines off to other sections of the garden.

If you put too many soaker hoses together you will not get enough water to the last hoses to actually have them soak through. Where as I have over a 1000 feet of drip system ran and still have enough pressure for all the emitters to drip.

I'll take mine up this year and reconfigure it next year. This year the fittings I bought don't come apart easily, but next year when I reconfigure it I'm going to use fittings that are actually made to pull apart.

DownriverGardener

No one's gonna stop me from watering. If I see people watering their damn grass, then they can kiss my .... :wink:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yeah, I really think it ought to be illegal in this day and age to water lawn. We use enough water for veggies and herbs and tree saplings. I never water the lawn. It's looked pretty bad much of the summer, but oh well - it looks natural, as opposed to some of the emerald green lawns I see that I know represent hundreds of gallons of irrigation water and might as well be plastic for how natural they look in these conditions. If this turns out to be the new normal, I will reseed with something more drought tolerant.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”