gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Sure thought this would be a terrible pest year but.....

I haven't had to spray or anything for pest or disease. The oddly less humid dry summer has helped with the disease so far nothing. The pest have been a slight nuisance but a problem they have not been, nothing that isn't tolerable.

I have had a few worm problem on my tomatoes nothing big and pretty rare. I found some stink bugs one time(I think that is what they were) on my zuch's I squished them and removed the eggs I found and that is the last I have seen of them. They were insane last year, thousands and thousands of them. :shock:

So all in all through this hardcore drought things have gone decent with some crops excelling and others not, but minus all the pest - disease I can deal with that. :flower:

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Myvine crops not so good except for all my beans that came up nice. I think we will get hit with bugs soon especially the corn worms! I hope I am wrong! Top of y tomatoes all eatten up ut no tomato worms anywhere. I am thinking its dear eatting the tops!

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I have so many tomatoes this year I didn't have room for vine crops till late. I am thinking that this may have a small part in the lesser pest problem. Possibly getting past their main infestation period. Though planted late they have completely taken over the garden maybe another reason is they are so healthy the aren't as susceptible. I have gotten cantaloupe as big as soccer balls. :shock: I will definitely save seed from these they are taking over my garden the neighbors yard just about everything. Same seed I planted last year that did so-so.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Oh yeah I was going to say my peas and beans went to junk, I don't want to talk about them. :cry: :oops: We are oppostie there, about to plant a fall crop if I can find some room. That is waht I have doing today, trying to catch up it's a jungle out there.

Back to the garden.

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

My tomatoes are growing wild also with stems everywhere. I have cut the tops from sum suckers but there are so many. The tomatoes are small et. I think the drought really hurt alot of m crops except for the beans!

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Mine are breaking the 8 foot mark. Been out trying to tame them a bit it is frickin nuts. Plants growing into each other, pulling down my stakes. It's insane. Still getting big ones and production is still good on some, great on others and not so great on others. All in all it is hard to keep up with them.

Well back to the jungle I had to take a break. :lol:

DownriverGardener

I agree. I haven't had ANY problems (knock on wood) with fungal, disease, mold, etc. The only bugs that have been bothering my garden are either the Horn worms on the tomato plants, or the Japanese Beatles eating the leaves mostly on my Eggplants. But I have been controlling them pretty regularly, so they don't ruin any crops.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Likewise, much less fungal issues than some years and not too much insect problems, except I still can't grow zucchini, between the vine borers and the squash bugs.... Even the slugs seem to have mostly given up and gone home, after doing a fair amount of damage to the spring crops.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”